Grinding gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jervisekken

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any rules for how much fingernail grind to use for different turning tasks?

And similarly: what jobs are different degrees of "backgrinding" on a bowl gouge good for. I think I once heard an instructor say that the wider the gouge, the more he ground the gouge back. or was it the other way around.

Thanks,

Geir

Skol!

And welcome to the forum :D

As for your question - no,I don't think there is a set rule for how much to grind it ; like so many things with turning,it's all very much down to personal preference.
Tracy Owen (who often writes in "Woodturning" magazine) generally uses a square-ground gouge for hollowing bowls out,working from the outside edge to the centre;and a fingernail-ground gouge for (amongst other things) pull-cuts working from the centre to the outside edge.

Andrew

Hello Geir and welcome.
I'm no expert at this,i just try and grind mine to the same angle as i bought my gouges etc at.Perhaps that's where i'm going wrong :?
Paul.J.

hi and welcome geir! as with others comments, i just do what works for me, rightly or wrongly, if something is working i dont try an fix it, if its not working, i xperiment till it does, then keep it that way :wink:

I certainly find that I grind longer wings on wider flute or master flute gouges. Often if you grind them too far back the wing becomes flat on the top end. I prefer a slight curve on the flute wing edge. Its best to experiment if you can but not always economic you waste alot of chisel. I found David Elsworths video "the Elsworth Signature gouge a great help with these types of bowl gouge in both grinding them and using them to best effect.

Hi Geir and welcome, I have to agree with wybi :D

wood yew believe it !":3qdnx46l said:
hi and welcome geir! as with others comments, i just do what works for me, rightly or wrongly, if something is working i dont try an fix it, if its not working, i xperiment till it does, then keep it that way :wink:

plus practice,practice and patients 8)

ATB

Dean

I find a square ,fairly flat grind on the bigger bowl gouges,helps to do the inside bottom of bowls. I did use a grind that was not very swept back and I got on ok then I saw Jimmy Clewes' video and I used his grinding setup which I found really simple to use.I had been sharpening by hand for about 10 years and been getting on OK.The jig set up gives a nice swept back grind but I still sharpen by hand more or less square across on the big bowl gouges.
Hope that is clear if not ask and I will try and help.
Michael

you might find this page useful - images of different grinds that some people use.

I have several bowl gouges ground at different angles that I swap to when the gouge I'm using doesn't seem to be cutting well. Most have swept back wings

Duncan

Back