Green house/glass house plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyC Longwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on constructing a part stone part timber glass house this year, has anyone already built something similar and if so do you have any information or plans that I might find useful?

Any advice websites or info much appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi - can't bear to leave a post unanswered - and I was hoping to build something similar myself later in the year so was looking forward to some good replies!

I was thinking I might build a shed frame out of 4x2 (essentially as per the sticky at top of page) and then fill in the gaps with some sort of plastic glazing stuff instead of cladding it and insulating it.

I can see it in my mind and it looks better than it sounds!

But i've not costed it or even given it any serious thought.

If you find something let me know - and I believe it is obligatory to show pictures of the work as well!!

Cheers

This is something on my to do list.

I already have a greenhouse that is falling down, it sits on 1000mm high dwarf walls on three sides the forth is full height.

My plans were to use softwood, maybe cedar and paint them before installing the glass.

I know it sounds obvious but I intend to make each wall as a section and bolt them together with openings in the roof. I was looking at using mortice and tenons to join the horizontals to the sills and header and lap joints at the crossovers. I have considered purchasing a domino jointer as that seems like a job made for it?

I would also be very interested to hear from anyone who has already done this.

I intend to make the sill like a window sill sitting on the dwarf walls overhanging the wall to provide a run-off for the rain.

Mick

I have thrown something like this together for SWMBO... did it as cheap as pos using stuff i had lying about or had got for free/next to nothing...
i think it sounds like the same thing stoatyboy has in his head...
i didn't post it on here cos it aint really woodworking but i have posted it on
Grow Your Own

There you go - I think I'll be aiming between the two approaches

both sites bookmarked and safe till needed!

Looks interesting.

Is there a post showing the WIP?

I couldn't find one although I did look at all the photo's and that was just what I would like to do.

I think there was more, I'll have a search and post if I find it.

Richard

I would suggest using Western Red Timber, Thuja Placata. It is the wood traditionally used for greenhouses due to its natural rot resistance. It does not require treating in anyway, will gradually turn silver/grey in colour and smells wonderful.
It is very soft to work though, even a hard stare will put a dent in it.

Andy

Hi
Just returned from holiday and noticed your request for info on a greenhouse. It just happens that I built one last year for SWMBO so hope some of my experience (and mistakes) may help you. Built the base in stone and the superstructure in Sapele. I did look into Cedar but there was little difference in cost and I liked the solid feel of Sapele. As my machining capabilities are a little limited I got the local timber suppliers to machine most of the sections to my specification.

I couple of tips based on my experience. The glazing rebates were on the inside with the glazing bars on the outside - I should have done it the other way around i.e the solid machined section on the outside.
The top surface of the wall plate needs a slope on it so that condensation from the roof glass is thrown off the wood.

I used 4mm single glazed toughened glass. You must protect the joists so I used a proprietary glaing bar to seal this and protect the roof joists. I selected Capex http://www.exitex.com/Capex/RoofingSele ... pe=Capex50
and was very impressed with the product.
I also made the roof lights out of timber and used the Capex to finish these.
I did not use the fancy Capex system for stopping the glass sliding off the bottom. I stuck it to the joists using security glazing tape from Reddiseal. They also supplied the the foam tape for sealing the rest of the glazing.
Since taking the photos (hope these display) I have now made and fitted a glazed door.
I treated all the wood with Sikkens - one coat of HLS and two coats of Filter seven plus.
If I can be of any further help let me know

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/787/finished2.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3688/finishedh.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5618 ... bleend.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6184 ... ctions.jpg[/img]

Thank you for the reply and the information.

Its pretty similar to the sketch design ideas I have in mind, I would attach a plan and typical photos i have found on the web from glasshouse companies, however I am not sure how to attach them!!!

I probably have a load of questions to ask when I eventually get started on the project, not sure whether to ask but would it be possible to come by and take a look? I live in Huddersfield and frequently travel around Yorkshire as part of my job.

Once again thank you for the posting and hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Andy.

Here are your images.

Really nice work. I like it a lot. You may want to take off your post code from the last one!

Mick

finished2.jpg

finishedh.jpg

greenhousegableend.jpg

greenhousewoodsections.jpg

I probably have a load of questions to ask when I eventually get started on the project, not sure whether to ask but would it be possible to come by and take a look? I live in Huddersfield and frequently travel around Yorkshire as part of my job.
Yes Andy no problem. I am retired so when you are next up this way I would be delighted to see you.
Here are your images
Mick thanks very much for making my images display. I still have something to learn in this department.
Re your earlier post my construction is similar to your thinking. I assembled the side and two ends in the garage as separate panels and then stood them on the wall and then pitched the roof.

Simon

Brilliant job Simon.

It perfectly compliments what seems to be a very beautiful house. Your good lady, if she is the one responsible, has also created a beautiful garden.

Well done to both of you.

Richard

I cobbled this together for about £60 year before last , i got the glass for free and the frame is just softwood and is lasting very well , all the pot plants live in it over winter and tommy , chillies and peppers are there in the summer ..

Might not be the prettiest greenhouse but it works :wink:

Picture040-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back