granite worktop over unsupported appliances at end of run

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2200

Reaction score
Hi all,

welcome your views here, and possible solutions.

Planning for a granite worktop run in the kitchen. At the end of line are two appliances - integrated dishwasher and freestanding washing machine.

the appliances butt up against a tall larger unit.

given no support to the granite offered by the appliances over the 1200, and nothing at the end supporting it, any ideas on how to support the granite at the end/over the appliances?

cheers.

Centre panel between appliances
And there will be an inch gap between the granite worktop and free standing washing machine. Batten fixed to tall unit side panel or angle brackets. Angle brackets are better as you can only see them from the floor level.

Hope this helps

Phill

sounds good,
but I should probably ask another question now though - what gap would you generally leave for 2 appliances side by side?
Integrated dishwasher door panels are 600, free standing washing machine is 595 wide.
If I put a panel in between and/or at the end - what total gap do you recommend??

I would go with 3 decor end panel One at either end and one in the middle I would also bring them out so they run flush with the doors not the units it gives a cleaner line. I would allow the width of the appliance +10 mm per appliance And 22mm per panel.
Just re read your post and realised one is integrated It should slide in to a 600mm opening best to check with your tape and the manufacturers instructions

As above but it would be good if you told us what the measurement /opening space is. I would also speak to the granite suppliers. Some granites are stronger than others and can bridge bigger gaps.

The integrated appliance will fit into a 600mm wide space allow 610 or 620mm for the free standing appliance More would be better for ease of fitting and removal . Ideally you want a panel between them to fix both sides of the dishwasher too.
Best solution for the granite would be a panel at the end of the run but a row of brackets or a batten would work
Most panels come 18mm thick BUT some of the better ones come in at 22mm thick and the cheap ones are usually 15mm or 16mm so you need to know which ones you have before allowing for the appliances
HTH

Roger

thanks,
current gap is 1210 at the front (and 1220 at the back - walls not square!)
all units are screwed onto the wall, but looks like I will need to redo this before the granite template is done.
if I read the above right I should have a bigger gap

I'd have a trial run with the two appliances to see how easy it is to get them out with just a small gap. Does the washing machine vibrate when it is spinning? You don't want it so close that the machine sets up rattles, it'll drive you mad :roll:

Regards Keith

Thanks all.

Am thinking it may be tricky to get a end panel that will match the height, as I won't be able to mount it on legs.

I could cut some 18mm ply to height and screw that into the larder unit.

h2200":p4om958w said:
Thanks all.

Am thinking it may be tricky to get a end panel that will match the height, as I won't be able to mount it on legs.

I could cut some 18mm ply to height and screw that into the larder unit.

You need a Decor end panel, It'll be full height.
Rodders

I had a similar issue where every mm counted.
I made two triangular metal brackets 500mm x 500mm x 2.5mm with a 25mm flange on the 90 deg edges for fastening. These were screwed to the wall and the worktop.
You can jump up and down on them and they don't budge and I only lost 5mm of space in total which can easily be incorporated in to the spacing between appliances.
Painted black they are invisible.

Gerry

Latest posts

Back