Granite worktop cutting for beginners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flh801978

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My local Howdens are doing a FREE one day demonstration of cutting and fitting granite work tops on Monday 13th in Sheffield if anyone's interested
They say with your original tools which I take to mean a circ saw and router???

Ehh

Cutting granite with router and circular saw. I would like to see that :shock:

I did mine with a circular saw with a diamond blade. Only a straight cut mind. I also backed the saw in to avoid chipping and her indoors was cooling the blade with water. :shock:

Porcelain is harder than granite and I cut it easily with a decent diamond blade in my angle grinder and tile saw.
I can't see any major problems providing you use the right blade and keep the cut wet and slow

Adam9453":2djnmdh6 said:
Porcelain is harder than granite and I cut it easily with a decent diamond blade in my angle grinder and tile saw.
I can't see any major problems providing you use the right blade and keep the cut wet and slow

Nobody is disputing you can't cut granite with a diamond blade, either with a tile saw or a grinder, I think the interesting part would be doing it with a router. One thing a router needs to make it even more fun is water.

Hmmmnn I think routing granite would make a great you've been framed video lol

The Howdens granite is only 20mm thick, most kitchen companies use 30mm and get a granite supplier to cut it for them, and in our case get it fitted as well.

Yep and it's all very well cutting it with a grinder and thin disk, I've done it but quite another thing to get the cut edge polished to a nice finish.

Lons":2l8ybcsg said:
Yep and it's all very well cutting it with a grinder and thin disk, I've done it but quite another thing to get the cut edge polished to a nice finish.

Diamond pads on a Rotex 90. The last installers I had at mine left me a set of pads, 4 grits, which they were using nicely on some Quartz. Not tried them mind you, but I do have a lot of offcuts to play about with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well no was going to pop in on Monday and see how they do it
Apparently they explain everything from cutting to polishing

I've cut granite on my CNC dry and that was ok

My local Howdens had this demo a while back but i never got to it. Is there that much call for granite worktops nowadays? Thought they had gone out of fashion a bit.

Every granite countertop I have seen has looked awful, chipped, stained, scratched and dirty.

Back