Gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Christmas and have a good new year one and all !

I was wondering about gouges.... I've seen the Henry Taylor and Kirschen ones on Axminster and the Ashley Iiles ones on WHeaven and I've seen several on eBay but I was wondering what people have been using and to what success.

Was looking to buy a few in different sizes and curves - more for roughing out curves in furniture than for carving...

Thanks,
Ed

Been using some Marples, Henry Taylor and assosorted old gouges, Sorby etc with no issues.

Bought a set of dakota gouges from Rutlands, like you, more so for rough work.....waste of money!!!! Even if you think you're getting a good set for the price dont be conned.

Of the brands you mention, Ashley Iles are the best by a long chalk, IMO (if you're buying new, that is).

I have a few of the Ashley Iles carving gouge's, I find them very good, and well worth the money.

The best carving gorges are probably Victorian such as adds or my favourite herring brothers. Henry Taylor. Are very good and thin. Edge holding is good. To. I have found illes. Gorges to be thick and of variable quality. Pfeil or stub ai are probably the best of the modern makers. Incidentally these are both chrome vanadium steel.and beautifully thin and made.

Just as important i think is totry different shapes such as fisheries and long pods straight gorges can be quite cumbersome in comparison.

Back