Got to build a cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to build a cabinet.

It is for storage in our utility room, to go along a wall, wall to wall, it will be just over 2m long.

We have two cats as well as a dog, so to give the cats somewhere to eat in peace the cats will eat on it, and as such needs a durable surface such as kitchen worktop.

A row of kitchen base units (only shallower) with worktop on top and wall cupboards above would do the trick, however as stated I do not have the full depth for base units, the wall is plasterboard over battens on brick, and I never have any joy fixing to plasterboard, and the cheapest cupboards I can see are Wicks at about £50, I need 4 plus worktop so cost is in the order £250.

My current thinking is to make a freestanding unit to measure, using 18mm mdf for the carcase and kitchen worktop for the surface in between lower and upper cupboards and off the shelf doors, such as Louvres.

So in short it will be something akin to a welsh dresser type construction, with mdf structure and worktop. I guess with over 2m length it will need some additional support in the middle. The ends will not be visible, so I am quite happy to fix through the ends.

I do have a biscuit jointer and a router.

Any comments suggestions and tips for construction welcome.

your cheapest option would be to use standard 720 high wall units and get some base unit legs . If you want them a bit deeper than wall unit depth fit them away from the wall. pop a worktop on and your sorted :wink:

Back