Got one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to take the plunge & bought Keiths Dewalt788. I have no experience with scrollsaws whatsoever & will need lots of help from you experts. Firstly do you think i need a footswitch, what type , how much & where would i get it , secondly ive read a surge protector is a good idea to use , but there seem to be that many different ones with different ratings , none of which i understand. Thanks for reading & i appreciate any feedback. ps be prepared for many more questions , cheers Tony

Buy a good quality switch, they are not cheap, but they do a lot of work, and I suspect a cheap one will fail sooner. Possibly much sooner.

Hi Tony. I have foot switches on both my scrollsaws. I could not work without one. They are so convenient. I have a hegner foot switch and the other was given to me by a friend. Be careful if looking on e-bay, a lot of them are for guitars. The foot switches from Hegner and Axminster are both very good but also very expensive but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I surge protecter is essential with a 788. I went through 3 motors before it dawned on me what the problem was. Although the saw is fine the motor does need that protection. Anyone will do. I got mine from Wilkinson's.

Tony ,wish you well with your new Scrollsaw, I wonder is it necessary to get a surge control for a hegner. ???

Hi Eugene. You are safe with your Hegner and don't need a surge protector. The Dewalt 788 Mark 1s were made in Canada and their electricity supply is a bit different to ours and as a result the motors on the 788s are not 100% compatible with our supply, although it is not far off. You can get surge protectors now for less than a tenner and a new motor for a dewalt is £200. Having said that my computers and most of my workshop machines have surge protection, purely as a safety measure.

Does my Dewalt need an NVR switch before i can fit a footswitch & im not sure if it does or not , help appreciated, thanks Tony

Hi Tony. No. You don't need an NVR switch but make sure you get a surge protector and if you want to enjoy the ultimate in scroll sawing get a foot switch. A good light over the scroll saw is also a big bonus, especially if you can get a fluorescent one. I find they give the best light. Happy scrolling.

Do fluorescent lights come in small versions as well as big & what do you think about the magnifying lights, ps a big thanks to all who have replied with advice & encouragement so far, Tony

Flourescent lights are available from 6" and upwards. If you use flourescent make sure they are high frequency or you will get strobe effects from the blade. A better light would be a LED strip. They are available to fit in the standard flourescent holders. They are more expensive, last longer use less power and don't give out ultra-violet. http://www.ledison-led-lights.co.uk/p/L ... ,+3W/3.htm

I find one of the most useful lights is a LED head torch. Light always where you want it, and uses about 3W.

Back