Google Chrome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake":3fcdg3vv said:
Possibly over zealous one-eyed lawyering - effective clause from a narrow point of view, but a bad wider outcome for the client. It could also be "lazy clienting" by Google.

Very possibly, I'm thinking that it's boilerplate, identical to the licensing for the google docs et al etc suggesting that it was just stuck in, in a "this is our standard license" fashion.

Cheers Mike

From a practical standpoint I quite like it. My son is a customer solutions engineer for Google and has been using Chrome for months. Definitely very much quicker than IE (try opening the same page in each in different windows), and the fact that one tab crashing doesn't crash all tabs makes it a winner for me.

I've been using Chrome this morning and I have to say I like it, the only issue I have is that the 'universal scroll' function of my mouse software doesn't work and I use it a lot for navigating pages, so I will be using FF3 until they fix that. Fair dues, it is only a beta.

Just installed Chrome.

Interface looks nice and uncluttered but will have to use it for a while to really make my mind up. Can anyone tell me where the 'Home' button is?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1qtmowuu said:
Can anyone tell me where the 'Home' button is?
Click on the "Customise and Control" (spanner) icon at the top right.

Select "Options."

Click on the "Basics" tab if not already selected.

In the "Homepage" section, check the box marked "Show Home button on the toolbar."

Job done. :)

The white cross (actually a "+") is the "New Tab" icon, BTW.

Ray.

Thanks Ray, that's done the trick.

I always like to click the home page button, it's a quick way of getting back to where I started without having to type in an address.

regards

Brian

I downloaded chrome yesterday and was a bit confused by it all. The main thing I didn't like was that there was no drop-down menu for the most recent url's entered. Or have I missed it somewhere? :?

I didn't like the fact that you had to start entering the web address before it gave suggestions as to what site you're after (I'm a lazy dyslexic).

To be fair; I was in a bit of a grump yesterday so possibl'y didn't give it a fair go :roll: :lol: . I binned chrome after about 5mins of faffing and reverted to the current version. I may give it another go at some point.

Looked nice, tho. :D

Bryn 8)

Slightly off-topic but related.

If I do a google search for something and then start exploring a particular website, how do I return straight to the seach results again without having to back-track all the way through the website?

Or am I just a numpty?

Dan

Dan, if you click on the 'back' button and hold the button down for a second then you get the list of previous pages displayed, so you can jump straight back that way.

Guys

Just so you are aware, and in no way wanting to scaremonger, but I have just blocked all corporate access to Chrome from our network due to our IT Security team identifying a number of significant 'potential' vulnerabilities and exploits in it which are currently believed to be being hammered by hackers. It is also being targeted with malware quite heavily too. Info found here http://www.techworld.com/security/news/ ... 3917&email

I'm not suggesting you stop using it, just make sure all your protection and firewalls are up to date, and be careful where you browse to :wink:

Cheers

Mark

PS Just so you know, I am the UK Network Infrastructure manager for one of the biggest accountancy firms in the world and we have 12k+ employees in the UK alone, so I'm not coming at this from a biased viewpoint, just letting you know what I know. Do with this info as you please. :D

Dan Tovey":1h8rlp8g said:
Slightly off-topic but related.

If I do a google search for something and then start exploring a particular website, how do I return straight to the seach results again without having to back-track all the way through the website?

Or am I just a numpty?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I don't know if this will help, but rather than try to go way back to the search results, try this:

When your search results are displayed, instead of just clicking on the link you want to go to, right click instead, and from the menu that appears, choose 'Open in New Tab' or 'Open in New Window'. That way your search results are always there for you.

This works in IE version 7. I don't know about other browsers though.

regards

Brian

Go back through history. In FF, at least, you can pull down a list of the last 20 or sites from the down-tick next to the back arrow, I think it is very similar in IE, but I'm not in front of it and I'm having a goldfish moment.

Jake":1f10xa9m said:
Go back through history. In FF, at least, you can pull down a list of the last 20 or sites from the down-tick next to the back arrow, I think it is very similar in IE, but I'm not in front of it and I'm having a goldfish moment.

If you click on a new tab (+ to the R of the last one in use) you will get a list of all your recently viewed sites.

Latest posts

Back