Good Summer for Bashes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
With the advent of the cooler weather almost upon us, I think it's been quite a good season for the various Bashes, large and small that have happened this summer. There was the one that I had in early June with the mouthwatering food prepared by Newts wife, Steve's excellent bash in Nottingham and DaveL's get together in Sept as well as the shows like Ally Pally and Yandles.
Has anyone else got any thoughts, what could be done next year, arrangements, planning etc. what was good or not so good, what could be improved etc? I personally have enjoyed meeting lots of different members to jaw over woodworking issues and have learnt a huge amount ..... hope to meet many more at future events - Rob

Well, next year I will be living in Glasgow. I might lay on 'The Great UKWorkshop Scottish Bash' if anyone is interested.

I fully agree, Rob. Meeting up with other people on here has been great and, as you say, you learn so much from discussing things face to face.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes - getting together in the "real world" is enlightening and thoroughly enjoyable. To be able to meet the people behind the names is a real joy (mostly :lol: :lol: ) and enhances the camaraderie of the forum.
Let's make 2008 a record Bash year! :D
Philly :D

It's been interesting from an outsider point of view, and i'm always jealous of those that can get to the bashes, i've been unable to meet up with any of them this year due to working commitments (new job - have to make a good impression), but next year i'll be more organised and book some time off so I can finally meet all the people that I've bored to tears with my trials and tribulations :)

Philly":2sds155o said:
Yes - getting together in the "real world" is enlightening and thoroughly enjoyable. To be able to meet the people behind the names is a real joy (mostly :lol: :lol: ) and enhances the camaraderie of the forum.
Let's make 2008 a record Bash year! :D
.....Philly, you still buying the teas at Yandles tho' in 08?.....me out the door rapidly :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2n7cd2ug said:
.....Philly, you still buying the teas at Yandles tho' in 08

Fingers crossed :wink: , I ended up buying the round of afternoon teas this year :roll: :lol:

LOL :lol:
Actually, I'm hoping to have a bench at Yandles this year demonstrating my planes. Exciting stuff!

Philly":2no4p2nz said:
LOL :lol:
Actually, I'm hoping to have a bench at Yandles this year demonstrating my planes. Exciting stuff!

ooh - definitely a good reason for me to make the journey, I best put an order in ahead of time :)

Slimjim81":ie1nyo96 said:
Well, next year I will be living in Glasgow. I might lay on 'The Great UKWorkshop Scottish Bash' if anyone is interested.
Well I'm there as long as the grubs free! :D

woodbloke":20jgyc97 said:
I personally have enjoyed meeting lots of different members to jaw over woodworking issues and have learnt a huge amount ..... hope to meet many more at future events - Rob

Yes Rob agree. I try to arrange my trips to UK to coincide with the UKW Big Bashes. I only managed Steves do in Nottingham this year but that was well worth the time, wish I could remember all the names, sorry I'm hopeless with names :oops: but the chance to chat face to face and learn is great and the 'Apres Do' back at Steves place was good too :)

I hoope to get to at least one in 2008 and would just like to ask anyone organising if they can announce it as far in advance as possible it would help me and probably a lot of other people too. I need about three months to get organised, that may seem a lot but time passes quickly in these matters.

Slimjim81":3k55zltj said:

Sounds interesting; at least it's nearer than all the other possibles. But still a long way......

:?

Maybe when I finally get a bit more organised, could offer space in sunny Buchan for any readers between Dundee and Thurso! :?:

Hello Everybody - good to see many of you at various shows this year and I hope you particularly enjoyed the event at Westonbirt in August. Based on the notion that quality will attract quality I have been thinking long and hard about doing a kind of roadshow for quality hand tools in 2008 in the spring. My initial thoughts are to trial this over 2 weekends to include a venue in Scotland.
I have worked at 3 USA roadshow events with Lie Nielsen Toolworks over the last year. L-N basically rent a room about 600 feet square either in a hotel or at a winery and invite a few select names to add flesh and interest to the show. So typically you may get Brian Boggs, Konrad Sauer, Mike Wensloff, Larry Williams, Bridge City Toolworks, Michel Auriou and Chris Schwarz among the "guests". It is a full on L-N showcase for their tools, great atmosphere and typically lasts from 2-8 on the Friday and 10-4 on the Saturday (probably change this to Sat & Sunday)- with free entry.
I would love some ideas on venues please - the rule is that it is easily accessible for both visitors and set up, cheap, with on site facilities (toilets, food etc). If the tools are being driven up from Suffolk then there is a limit as to what can be brought - I won't advertise the tools here but the emphasis will be on quality hand tools so will exclude machinery. It may also exclude woodturning & woodcarving tools. My guests would be UK based. Venues around York, Newcastle &. Edinburgh (A1 corridor) would work best logistically for me. I'd like to do a Scottish tour and I think Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow are all possibilities but I am concerned about the extra travel involved. Open to suggestions though, especially if workbenches can be borrowed locally.
You may remember an entry I placed about a year ago regarding a UK woodworking conference - still planning this but making slow progress - it will be a 2009 event.

Whilst on the subject of bashes... Philly, any further thoughts on a Westinbirt bash for 08?

"Have lathe, will travel" :lol:

Slimjim81":1jtje7jg said:

Well I do have a reason to go to Glasgow next year so if you're planning anything around April or May I will be emerging from my hibernation and would be interested.

As mentioned before will need plenty of advance notice 'tho. :)

Back