Good practise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek Willis.":2mdx1uek said:
All wrong!!!! Any woodworker worth his salt must know better!!!!
Derek.

In one man's eyes. Quite ok in anothers.

Cheers

Karl

I always put mine down on the sole with a tiny scrap under the nose to keep the iron off the bench. I would lay it on the side, but with my luck I'd end up planing my knuckles as I reached for something.

I was taught always to lay a plane on it's side at school (over 5 decades ago) and never got out of the habit.
When it goes back in it's drawer after use, The blade is always wound up clear of the sole. ( oh, and the drawer in lined with greased paper)
Never had a chipped blade yet, or problems with rust.

John.

I was taught to lay them on their sides and did that for many years until joining this Forum - now I do what is easiest at the time - side, scraps of wood, shavings etc. but the main thing is doing it carefully. :)
I agree with Rob that it is much easier to pick up when placed sole down especially with the bigger and heavier planes.

For storage I use some gently heated metal drawers with thickish rubber mats and a layer of bubble wrap sprayed with Camellia oil - planes sole down.

I also give them a good clean with a brush (including my patented one for reaching the bits the others cannot reach - Axminster glue brush with some sharpened dowelling shoved in the end!) and a wipe with the oil.

Rod

was taught to lay the plane on its side at collage and since then ive got into the habbit of doing it, or a thin piece of scrap when using alot on the bench, i dose help save the edge

On the side - and chisels bevel down
saves risking damaging the blade or whatever you've put it down on
e.g concrete floor, auntie's chippendale table etc

Tim Nott":19eaev7p said:
saves risking damaging the blade or whatever you've put it down on e.g concrete floor

:eek: That would be a slap-worthy offence!

Cheers

Karl

I feel pretty certain that the injunction to put a plane down on its side was started by woodwork teachers who know that some clots (including adult students in night class) are quite capable of plonking the plane down on a pile of tools on the bench top, including steel rules, saws, chisels, try squares and so on.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back