good news from benchcrafted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
saw this on Chris Schwarz's blog, one day i would love to build a bench with there vices on but the bending over to change the pin had been on the Cons list. i was thinking up rack and pinion ideas with a motor etc etc, but then i saw the idea in chris's book.

this now seems to be the perfect non racking vice (somewhat expensive) but totally awesome

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...og/st-peter’s-cross-and-the-ultimate-leg-vise

On a cheaper note, I have seen somewhere where the lower guide rail is a second vice screw. A "through" handwheel on this is moved in and out to replace the pin. On this model, the operator moved the handwheel with his foot.

Is changing the pin really that much of a burden?

I'd have thought most (not all...most) woodworkers spend most (as before!) of their time working on material that's about an inch thick. So basically you set the pin and leave it for hours if not days. Sharpening or sweeping up surely takes a much bigger bite out of your bench time?

Back