Good make of Quick Grip Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Does anyone know if such a thing exists as a good quality quick grip clamp?

The last one of my 'got them from HomeBase' gave up the ghost today and snapped one of the pads off. Most of the others that haven't broken have gone 'spongy' whereby they don't get that final grip correctly and spring back a wee bit - enough to make a tight clamp impossible.

So - I'm after the some wise words of wisdom please :)

Thanks
Wayne.

I tend to agree with pete, but also use (bought at the same DM show) the Irwin quick grip clamps. I find I use the irwin ones in preference to the bessey ones (but don't ask me why - maybe the colour!!!).

Dave

I like the Record ones as well. If you shop around, you may still be able to find the 6" and 12" sizes (in the older style) available in 'buy one get one free' deals. I also like the red 'solo' clamps from Screwfix.

Irwin XP range. They are the Dogs Danglies.

Thanks all,
Interestingly - I've been searching for clamps on the forums and Bessey seems to be coming up trumps most of the time.

I've just ordered a couple from Tooled-up.com to give a try - along with the Bessey Uni Clamps - These guys seemed to be the cheapest supplier I've found.

I will certainly be mindful of the others mentioned as well! - I think I may have even seen the Irwin's at DoItAll or Tippers (or one of our other local 'diy' stores) so I'll give them a check too.

The biggest problem will be trying to convince swmbo that you need more than one clamp :roll:

(oh interestingly - if you 'google' for voucher codes for tooled-up - theres a web site with a few for 'over ££ spend get £ off - http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discounts/tooled-up.com#discounts - which all helps :D )

Cheers
Wayne.

I was clamping up a shooting board tonight and used 16 clamps. Which were different from the 8 sash cramps I used to glue up the main pieces in the previous step :shock:

I find these Irwin ones quite good. However, I use only the 6" ones these days or sometimes their 12" version. I bought a 36" (I think) one at one stage - the bar is thicker than shown on that page but it still flexed in use. The 6" ones are great though for quick clamping jobs - they can be difficult to open again, mind you, due to the pressure that they apply and the fact that you squeeze a bare metal bar to release them which I find can be hard on your fingers.

Really, have a look at Irwin's XP range of quick grips. Much more substantial then the standard ones posted above.

I'd even say they where better than the Bessey equivalent.

Latest posts

Back