Good magazines / Books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryharris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, as someone just getting into woodwork I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good uk magazine or book. Up to now I have just done what I would term constructional joinery lol, building a deck/roof on garage/stud walls etc. I have some basic tools - Dewalt drill/mitre saw/pillar drill etc and Im looking to invest in a router/table saw/planer thicknesser etc in the coming months.

My immediate projects are to build some driveway gates with mortice and tenon joints, possibly machine my own T+G in the boards, then Im considering a built in cupboard with drawers and high gloss finish........... after that, well what Im interested in is making the occasional piece of furniture. Its a case of expensive taste and cheap budget, what I would like to do is build my own "designer/contemporary" furniture, just for me, I have no illusions of selling anything but merely replacing the ikea with quality pieces that I would not otherwise be able to afford.

So any advice welcome, Im more interested in learning what tools I need, what is the best or best price/performance trade off choice in equipment, construction techniques etc.

Furniture and Cabinetmaking is regarded as the best magazine available in the UK, although if you're still a beginner, you may find it a bit overwhelming at first...

In your situation then, I'd recommend you have a look at Good Woodworking and, of course, British Woodworking. :wink:

You might also want to have a look at The Woodworker, which isn't bad either. I pick it up occasionally but I'm not a subscriber to that one.

Hi Harry
I would reccommend The Collins Complete Woodworkers Manual to any one that is starting out. It covers all the joints and sharpening all your tools. The machinery and the handtools as well as basic projects are all covered.
Maybe you will find it in the library or ebay but it really is well worth getting.
Hope this helps

All the best

John

you could also have a look at some of the brett stuff , it may cover some of what you know, but his teaching style is the only one I managed to follow with any sort of success.

I am in the same boat, but i find it easier to do a course or two. There are some good ones available, don't be too hasty to disregard them.

good luck anyway.

neil

I was in the same situation as you about 5 months ago. Since then I've read a lot of books but have found the easiest source to be podcasts, learn loads because you can actually see the full process.

Go onto itunes and search for :

the wood whisperer (about 40 vids, each 30 mins long)

fine woodworking (about 40 vids, an hour long each)

lots of excellent demonstrations

When I read James Krenovs books my attitude to woodworking changed altogether, they are really amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone (seriously, not just workers in wood). There is also a great Taunton press book called 'Furniture and cabinet construction' by Andy Rae which gives a lot of good practical advice.

johnjin":vh9bp4ny said:
Hi Harry
I would reccommend The Collins Complete Woodworkers Manual to any one that is starting out

I would second the Collins book as good for covering the basics (and an interesting section showing different woods in the first chapter).

I would also agree with LarryS about podcasts. The amount I picked up from watching The Wood Whisperer has been invaluable.[/quote]

Re books this was a useful thread sometime back:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2180
With the woodworking mags my advice would be to buy a few and see what you think - British Woodworking gets a lets of discussion here (it used to be Good Woodworking) but I find most of the UK mags are much of a muchness except F&C which has more inspirational stuff (I'm not saying it's any better or worse just for a different market). You can't beat just having a thumb through them and seeing what takes your fancy - especially if you're after tool reviews or a particular project.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":359oq82u said:
British Woodworking gets a lets of discussion here (it used to be Good Woodworking)

British Woodworking used to be something else I'm having trouble remembering what though. Good Woodworking used to be and still is Good Woodworking, Nick Gibbs who created British Woodworking used to edit Good Woodworking.

Cheers Mike

mr":2aim31m5 said:
gidon":2aim31m5 said:
British Woodworking gets a lets of discussion here (it used to be Good Woodworking)

British Woodworking used to be something else I'm having trouble remembering what though. Good Woodworking used to be and still is Good Woodworking, Nick Gibbs who created British Woodworking used to edit Good Woodworking.

Cheers Mike

Didn't mean BWW used to be GWW! Sorry for the confusion - meant GWW used to get most of the discussion before BWW.

Cheers

Gidon

ahhh yes, odd that. Nick G at GWW could do no right it seemed, whereas Nick G at BWW can do no wrong. Possible proof of publishers input or partisan readers?

Cheers Mike.

I must confess I have a subscription to The Woodworker and British Woodworking.

I tend to find Good Woodworking a bit arty for my tastes. I also pick up the occasional Fine Woodworking which is good but as an American magazine it is sometimes irrelevant.

LarryS":2x9o64y7 said:
I was in the same situation as you about 5 months ago. Since then I've read a lot of books but have found the easiest source to be podcasts, learn loads because you can actually see the full process.

Go onto itunes and search for :

the wood whisperer (about 40 vids, each 30 mins long)

fine woodworking (about 40 vids, an hour long each)

lots of excellent demonstrations

I searched for fine woodworking in itunes and came up with nout!

any ideas?

Steve

Back