Good finish for Baby swinging cradle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am close to completing a swinging cradle that I am making for my impending firstborn (WIP Pics coming to projects forum soon) and I have started thinking about what the best finish would be for it.

The cradle is made entirely of American Black Walnut, and I have been thinking about a few things, so here goes:

- Baby safe? I'm not sure how relevant this really is for a cradle, because in theory the baby will only be in it for a maximum of the first 6-10 weeks or so, and I would guess that it will be barely able to lift its head by then, never mind grab hold of and chew something (feel free to mock the fool who has no idea what he is letting himself in for :shock: ).

- Low odour. I recently made a pirate's chest for a friends daughter and finished it with Danish Oil. The only problem I found with this is that it still smells very much of the DO, even a couple of months afterwards, and I don't like the smell! Would Lemon Oil be a better proposition, or something l ike shellac (which I have never used and have no experience of).

- Matte/Satin finish. The Danish Oil was great because I rubbed it down with wire wool in between each coat, and after the final one, and it gave great lustre to the wood but without the final glossy finish of a varnish. This is the same kind of matte (I think that's the right term) I am looking for with the cradle.

- Wax? I was also thinking of potentially a wax finish over the top of the oil, but I have no experience of this, so any advice welcomed.

Basically, what I am looking for is a finish (or combination of) which will bring out the beautiful colours in the walnut, not be too stinky, be safe, and look good.

Any thoughts? :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Mark

use shellac.
the alcohol evaporates wuickly and all that is left is beetle shell.
can't harm can it?

Latest posts

Back