Goliath CNC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you can now have a sheet sized cnc in the palms of two hands.
Think it has its place in tool purchase list, albeit a very niche one, that is cutting designs into already installed items, like adding a welcome, cut into your existing wood flooring.

Are is it just a solution looking for a problem?

I think, like the Shaper Origin, this is a brilliant solution to a set of real problems, and a not-brilliant solution to a wider set of problems. The portability bit seems key.

This appeals to me more than the SO, but I think that's because of the LOGO Turtle thing.

As someone who doesn't have the space or money for an 8x4 CNC, doesn't really want the Maslow system and works almost exclusively with Sheet Plywood cutting out fairly simple shapes this to me seems like it would really fit in perfectly with my workflow.

My only concern is how well it would cope with cutting right to the edges. The design clearly allows it to cut to one of the edges as the spindle is right to one side but the machine doesn't look like it turns to allow it to stay on the sheet its cutting meaning you have to create a matching edge round the perimeter for it to roll onto. This would create problems as you now need a 9x5(maybe more) space for it to work on full sheets

From the tutorials it looks like you only need to add a 6cm extension to three sides if you really need to work the entire board.

Ahh okay. thats not too bad. I would need to construct a 'table top' for it that can be moved out the way when not in use anyway so if it's only 6 cm thats hardly an issue at all.

I saw this a few years ago, must have been at its prototype stages.
It is certainly clever. The issues I thought of at the time remain. They did not appear to have thought much about sawdust, especially in relation to the wheels. I see now it has a built in vacuum which might be ok for fine dust. The limitation to the bit size must be pretty small, otherwise it would likely create too much torque for one and secondly bigger chips for the vacuum to sort out.

Also I can see issues with different surface textures and stuff being problem.
Also the footprint is quite large so needs to be on a quite big sheet.
I think the shaper is a much better idea out of the two.

Ollie

I saw this a few years ago, must have been at its prototype stages.
It is certainly clever. The issues I thought of at the time remain. They did not appear to have thought much about sawdust, especially in relation to the wheels. I see now it has a built in vacuum which might be ok for fine dust. The limitation to the bit size must be pretty small, otherwise it would likely create too much torque for one and secondly bigger chips for the vacuum to sort out.

Also I can see issues with different surface textures and stuff being problem.
Also the footprint is quite large so needs to be on a quite big sheet.
I think the shaper is a much better idea out of the two.

Ollie
I had the same thoughts on traction vs torque vs bit size. The human bracing supplied to the Origin does seem to be a better solution.

I think they're the same idea but with a different use. Shaper seems to be ideal for smaller work areas whereas Goliath seems like it is more suited to larger scaled projects.

Maybe the SO can be used on full size sheets but you'd used a ton of the tape it uses to locate itself very time you use it along with having to hold it and guide it over a fairly unmanageable area. whereas the Golatih doesn't need any of that and will just work on its own. I guess if you just take it easy with feed speeds along with cut depth per pass and dust can be managed a bit more easily with a simple empty of the Collector on each pass. Failing that it would be good if an external extort hose could be linked to it somehow?

Does this kind of thing represent a development from bench CNC equipment to a more portable solution? Maybe similar to a spindle moulder compared to a hand held router.
10 years from now they could be in Screwfix for £200 and we will be downloading knock together kids toys and furniture routinely.
The portability opens up a lot of new possibilities but it also makes it more affordable which means accessible to more people.
You’ll end up with woodworkers who don’t know how to sharpen a chisel but are dab hands with auto cad and sketch up. What are they going to find to talk about?

I view the Shaper Origin as a self correcting router more than a true cnc router.
It is a combination of the two. It would be brilliant for cutting in SOSS hinges etc, you could set up many files for regularly needed tasks and quickly and most importantly accurately repeat them.
Along with the ability to do work to vertical surfaces etc. And of course more artistic things like adding inlays or engraving to existing work.

The goliath I think is more of a one trick pony only really useful for sheet work and only flat on the floor with perfect conditions.

Neither have the ability of a true cnc router to do complex jobs or to start the file and let it run, which is an advantage too.

Ollie

Looks like this is a crowdfunded project. They were asking for 1400 - 1800 dollars for crowd funding. Now available to pre-order for £2800 plus taxes, deposit £590.
https://www.goliathcnc.com/preorder
I have not found any evidence of them being delivered to the general public or any reviews. Seems to me that a purchaser is risking £700 and getting nothing or £3360 and getting something which is useless. In either case the vat man wins.

I can see the advantages of the machine, but not for me.

Latest posts

Back