Golden wedding anniversary gift ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks, very dear family members will celebrate this great anniversary towards the end of the year, and I'm scrumbling for ideas, or if those of mine are any good.
I thought of making high-end cutting board, end grain, thick and large in footprint, maple walnut combo. Just doesn't seem to be worthy. But I like the idea of making them something, as opposed to buying. Just seem more valuable in my eyes.

So, any ideas, please?

Think about what they both enjoy doing or find out more about where they got married and do something based around these which included a message inlaid in gold wire perhaps

how to

Chopping board sounds a nice idea but think about age and physical condition, my wife has trouble with arthritis in hands and struggles with heavy stuff in the kitchen. That means compromises, the 40 year old cast iron casseroles only come out if I'm cooking, she mostly uses light metal ones, one oak chopping board rarely gets used, etc. If they are both fit, fine. Small side/coffee table might be more use.

You will know them infinitely better than any of us🙂

Think about what they both enjoy doing or find out more about where they got married and do something based around these which included a message inlaid in gold wire perhaps

how to

That wire inlay is pretty neat, I like everything about it. However seems like a lot of time and money investment to get the tools and skills required. And II'm not sure I would do that often. My wife is making DND resin dices, so she could fill the inlay with epoxy instead. Might not look as neat as the metal, but we are geared up already.

Why not use the maple and walnut for a box with the inlay or decoration on the underside of the lid?
When my mother in law passed away 25 years ago she had a very close friend of many years she'd known since WW2 and seen many sad and happy events with. The friends 40th wedding anniversary was soon after. I made then a simple dovetailed box in walnut and I think I lined it in Cedar. Inside were 40 x £1 coins. That box lived on the hall table until her death, where she and her husband had it every day.

Colin

Last edited:
Why not use the maple and walnut for a box with the inlay or decoration on the underside of the lid?

Colin

Yeah, I thought about it. It would seem more worthy present. They are not about jewlery (which I associate with these boxes), but they like food a lot. My uncle is a passionate meat eater. Aunt a bit less, which is putting me off for the cutting board. I wonder if a combo would be best. Matching set? But thanks for the idea.

You really only need 5 tools, a very small hammer, side cutting wire snips, small tip slot screwdriver, a parallel tip (gunsmiths type) slot screwdriver, a sharp scalpel. Print off a special message and use carbon paper to copy it on to the wood and away you go. See below

Whatever you make they will love, much more than anything bought. I did a bit of inlay recently and it was super rewarding, only straight lines mind, laying into a saw kerf. But I saw a few vids like the ones linked and they just used simple tools. You can get some cheap brass or copper inlay wire to practice with.

Folks, very dear family members will celebrate this great anniversary towards the end of the year, and I'm scrumbling for ideas, or if those of mine are any good.
I thought of making high-end cutting board, end grain, thick and large in footprint, maple walnut combo. Just doesn't seem to be worthy. But I like the idea of making them something, as opposed to buying. Just seem more valuable in my eyes.

So, any ideas, please?
For special dates/ anniversaries I usually incorporate an old penny, tails/date side showing for the special year.

For special dates/ anniversaries I usually incorporate an old penny, tails/date side showing for the special year.
I like that... (our golden wedding is coming up next year!) However, not being an avid collector of old pennies, I don't happen to have a 1973 penny in my jacket lining. Is there a relatively simple way to get hold of one?

Many thanks for all those pointers. Had I not been bone idle, I'd have done a bit of poking myself. Have bought three on FleaBay - and now have over a year to plan and construct something suitable in which to insert at least one of them!

Back