GOING IT ALONE!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things i do to try to bring in repeat bussiness is when passing a recent customer i pop in to make sure everything is ok or at least call them a month or so later alot of people appreciate this and often book for follow on jobs off the back of this. It also demonstaites your not going to take the money and run. Also alot of the time if the customer isnt completly satisfied he wont call to let you know but will simply use somone else in the future so if you call in and discover this you have a chance of doing somthing to change their mind weather it be a small adjustment or just a quallity check.
Also no matter how hard you try you will never completly satisfy everybody somtimes they just dont like you.

i also give a 5% discount for payment on completion it helps get the money in.

Its not easy setting up a small bussiness but if it was everybody would be doing it and there wouldnt be a hole in the market for you slide into.

There are alot of reigonal differences in what is a reasonable rate. In my area the cheapest are £10 to £12 and any one charging £24 per hour is regarded as dear, this is for a 8 hour day
In the last few months ive found it hard to win jobs at £20. per hour,but £17.50 to £18.00 seems to be the going rate here

If you are doing alot of small jobs everyweek there is a lot of lost time, traveling, collecting materials ,ordering , measuring up and phone calls, and it can be suprising to few hours you can invoice in a week, On weeks like these you can be very busy work 6 days and still not make as much as you expect

Mike,

I've just caught up with your plans for self employment. Good decision, great to see you doing this. I wish you all of the luck in the world to succeed.

You have had lots of advice already about rates, quality etc etc.

BUT, what service are you actually providing to your unsuspecting customers.

best regards
Alan

A.M. HOME MAINTENANCE

TRADITIONAL SKILLS, TRADITIONAL VALUES. GETTING THE JOB DONE RIGHT, FIRST TIME AND ON TIME!

 ALL TYPES OF CARPENTRY/CABINET MAKING/TIMBER FINISHING
 DOOR AND LOCK REPLACING
 FLAT PACK ASSEMBLY
 PAINTING AND DECORATING
 OUTDOOR MAINTENANCE
 INTERNAL RENOVATIONS
 FURNITURE/FLOORING RESTORATION

IF YOU WANT A PUNCTUAL AND PROFESSIONAL FAMILY RUN SERVICE, CALL US FOR YOUR FREE QUOTE.

VERY REASONABLE RATES. QUALITY WORK AND SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
HOURS- 8 TIL LATE

here is whats on the flyer.

wow, where do i start with soooo many posts to answer???

there is so much information on here! i want to print it out so i can isolate all the advice and condense it to make a page of bullet points, but when i print it it only shows half of the page.
is there a print version button i am missing somewhere?

mike-reid":2ektbies said:
A.M. HOME MAINTENANCE

TRADITIONAL SKILLS, TRADITIONAL VALUES. GETTING THE JOB DONE RIGHT, FIRST TIME AND ON TIME!

 ALL TYPES OF CARPENTRY/CABINET MAKING/TIMBER FINISHING
 DOOR AND LOCK REPLACEMENT
 FLAT PACK ASSEMBLY
 PAINTING AND DECORATING
 OUTDOOR MAINTENANCE
 INTERNAL RENOVATIONS
 FURNITURE/FLOORING RESTORATION

IF YOU WANT A PUNCTUAL AND PROFESSIONAL FAMILY RUN SERVICE, CALL US FOR YOUR FREE QUOTE.

VERY REASONABLE RATES. QUALITY WORK AND SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
HOURS- 8 TIL LATE

here is whats on the flyer.

wow, where do i start with soooo many posts to answer???
Hi Mike, just a little grammar tweak. Reads better I think.

mike-reid":1ukjhkqm said:
A.M. HOME MAINTENANCE

2 points;

1. The name - boring boring boring! Either come up with a snappy, catchy trading name that says what you do, or just use your own full name. The former makes you stand out from the crowd and the latter sounds trustworthy and professional. Using initials just makes you look unimaginative!

2. Always include your landline number as well as your mobile. It gives you a look of permanence and respectability.

Brad

BradNaylor":110e4ice said:
2. Always include your landline number as well as your mobile. It gives you a look of permanence and respectability.

Brad

Unless you don't want work calls coming to your house, of course. Maybe Mike should think about buying an 0845 or 0800 number and diverting it to your mobile - cheap enough and easy to do, and it works for me ;)

Pete

i havent got a land line, cant afford it!

ok, the name is pants? i'd love to use 'HIRE A HUBBY' but its already been taken. the initials are after my sons name and the idea is that with it being an A, it will be at the top of directory listings like thompson local and in paper classifieds etc.

the name is important you are totally right. but i am not sure a snappy catchy one is the way ahead. i want to be known for being traditional and solid, not gimicky, if that makes sense. will have to work on that then.

thanks for the grammer amendment Brad...... :oops:

You don't need to buy 0845 numbers any more, you can get them free. I've just signed up for one for my company with these people http://www.uk2numbers.co.uk but there are loads of others out there.

Might be worth getting a website set up as well. I doubt you will get any work through directly but potential clients might look you up to see what you are like. No need to spend the earth on some super fancy designer site, you just need something respectable for now.

I'd certainly spend some time thinking about a good name. We let the company muppet register the name and so we have ended up stuck with a name that causes most normal people to retch and come out in a nasty rash (ok, maybe it's not quite that bad).

I'd agree that a landline number is important - I'd be reluctant to deal with someone who doesn't have one in a business set-up.

Personally, I'd avoid 0845 numbers; many people have call-inclusive packages these days which offer free calls to landline numbers; many still exclude 0845 numbers, I'd rather call an 01 or 02 number. Yes, I know I'm tight but that's the way I am.

Also, it's reckoned that next year more calls will be made on mobiles than on land-lines for the first time. Most mobiles charge for 08** numbers so this won't attract the business you might think an 0845 or even 0800 number would.

Ultimately, a landline gives credibility and builds trust.

I thought I'd already posted this, but it appears not.

I would avoid the use of ALL CAPITALS in your text. It is more difficult to read than lower case and makes it look as if you are shouting everything.

S

PS Brad, glad to see you are coming round to my way of thinking... :)

I'm afraid I'm also going to be picky here :p
HOURS- 8 TIL LATE
should be HOURS- 8 TILL LATE, or better still: I am happy to be contacted between 8AM and 8PM Monday to Friday.
I agree with the point about capitals being shouty, and 'late' means different things to different people. You also don't say which days you work, or specify if available 7 days a week. I just think it could be a little clearer and more elegant. Hope you don't mind, only intending to help :oops:
Also agree re: landline number. I usually won't even call to enquire if a landline isn't listed.

mike-reid":wvyhlom8 said:
and the idea is that with it being an A, it will be at the top of directory listings like thompson local and in paper classifieds etc.

In that case how about "Aardvark home maintenance" ;)

and on the hours thing steve is right that its 8 'til late - but why put hours on at all, you arent a shop, your clients will be making appointments after all and presumably your phone has voicemail so you could just say "call any time"

(also get a landline - if you get one soley for buisness it will be a deductable expense, so you will be able to afford it)

Mike

I'm assuming you have a broadband - why not just get a VOIP fone & number. Numbers cost on average £1 per month and since you aren't really going to be making calls - costs of calls aren't an issue (but they're cheap in any case). Just have it go to a recorded message, inviting callers to leave their number & message, or ring the mobile.

Still professional and as cheap as chips.

HIH

Dibs

Steve Maskery":36t6k8jp said:
Dibs, do you have any recommendations?
S

A while ago I saw alot of good press for www.voipfone.co.uk and they do a month's free trial - so you can check it out.

Whoever you go with check out http://www.itspa.org.uk/members.html and make sure they are on it. Past experience would suggest staying away from resellers.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. If you can't get a free trial for a month or so - then they aren't really pitched at small businesses and I'd say give them a miss.

laird":2sypfhlg said:
Scrums":2sypfhlg said:
:eek:
sick leave
no such thing when you're self employed :)
Chris.
I've just lost a whack of time (and am about to lose some more) trying to sort out a brain tumour. This sort of problem may occur whether you're self employed or not - and either way you've got to have the cash to cover non earning periods.
Not moaning, just being realistic.

What can I say Laird, I am really sorry to hear about your medical condition. Although my illness was no where near as bad as yours I do know how you must be feeling. Good luck to you for the future and try and follow the best advice I was ever given "Do not give up hope"

Cheers

Mike

Steve Maskery":1m25j0lo said:
Er, I can out-pedant you! :)

It should be 8 'til late, as, in this context, TIL is a contraction of UNTIL.
Ooh, I knew I should have added a rider! Prepare to be out-pedanted! :p I was taught to use till; the contraction 'til is a more recent and informal term, which apparently arose from a misconception as explained here. Anyhow, I concede 'til (with the apostrophe) would be equally acceptable to most.
I shall now get back on topic and agree with moose:
moose":1m25j0lo said:
why put hours on at all, you arent a shop, your clients will be making appointments after all and presumably your phone has voicemail so you could just say "call any time"

And laird, I'm also sorry to hear the news, hope it gets sorted soon.

Latest posts

Back