Glueing Teak - Worked for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnemtee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this teak garden table last year and was worried about the usual problems with getting glue to work etc. I only had the usual general purpose Screwfix glue so decided on an alternative.
At the time I had a tube of expanded polyurethane filler that I had finished with although partly full. After cleaning the joints with thinners I used the residue from the tube, brushing it on from an old bowl.
It seems to work very well having survived a summer and what passes for winter down here.
I know that one can get polyurethane glue so I guess it must be very similar to the filler.
If it falls apart over the next year or so we shall know not to use it again but it seems sturdy enough now.
TeakTable.jpg

Dont knock the workmanship - It has spent a year outside :)

Hi John,

Looks like nice clean work to me. I haven't used teak in a long time. I was told it is illegal to import it, unless it is in the form of ready-made furniture. Maybe my timber merchant was too lazy to look for some!

Anyhow, I recall I used Cascamite, after going over the jointing surfaces with CTC (Carbon Tetrachloride). I don't know if we can get either these days.

I do know Cascamite is waterproof and my back gate is still tight, after some 20 years. I never had any troubles with it for any woodwork, aside from waste. I always made more than I could use.

I think I will do what the Japanese workers do - use rice glue, and eat what's left at the end of the day! :lol:

Happy Chipping
John

Yep... I have one 9 x 1.5 board about 6' long, that I am frightened to use... You know how it is. You want to use it, but you feel that a better use for it will turn up after it's gone!
:)

Back