Glue with a long open time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
can anyone recommend a glue with a longer open time?

It's for gluing up this :D

DSCN0497.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

Thanks

JH

Epoxy? You can use slow accelerator, wich gives you about 2 hours open time (i think). It's a bit messy tough.

I`d go along with Jeff & Resintite

Though i guessing they might have that or similar (Cascamite or what ever it`s called now) at college :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers.

Doug :D

Titebond do an Extend wood glue though, this will only give you about 15-20 minutes, depending on conditions in the workshop. That's still double what you'd expect from your average PVA - surely, it's enough time to bash some dovetails together? :D

There's also Titebond III, which appears to have a longer cure/open time. From reading comments of others on this forum though, it does apparently leave a dark glue line... :?

Your main worry with cascamite would be to ensure that you mix up enough of it in advance of the assembly - you don't want to run out of glue part-way through!! :wink: That's always the trickiest part; mixing up enough without mixing too much and wasting all that excess. It can be brittle once dry, which is why it isn't recommended for mortise and tenon joints. Also, the dried glue is razor sharp!! :shock:

What did your tutors recommend?

I like the way you've routed the waste on your dovetails - bet that made a racket!! :D

+1 for UF glue. I use Resinmite (from AG Woodcare) as opposed to Resintite but it's all the same stuff. It is worth comparing prices as these vary quite a bit as does the pack size. Resinmite is available in a 750g container which is a good size for the amateur and is cheaper than Axminster.

Jim

Thanks guys,

think i'll have a play with Cascamite or what ever it`s called now as it wont cost me anything :D

From what I'm told, in our hot dry workshop, pva has an open time of 5 mins, cascamite has an open time of 10.

apart from the dovetails there is a bottom and drawer runners to be fitted all at the same time :? could be fun..

The routing wasn't to noisy Ollie, i still "hacked" out the waste with a copping saw.

DSCN0498.jpg

Just leaving a little bit to tickle done to the scribed line.

JH

What about poly-eurethane? I'm sure I used some with a 30 min open time the other week when I was building a bed. To be fair, that was working in the sun outside and I had no problems putting the headboard together. Just make sure you wipe the joint with a damp cloth first so you get a good bond.

OPJ":335jhriy said:
What did your tutors recommend?

I suggested consider using urea formaldehyde (open time about ten minutes, and in stock), liquid hide glue (open time about 15-20 minutes and not carried as a stock item), and one of the polyurethane glues (with an open time of between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on the brand, the humidity and the temperature, and not a stock item at the college).

An alternative that wasn't discussed is to consider using the stock PVA, but only glue up two joints at a time, ie, the two on the left end of the carcase followed by the two on the right end of the carcase.

A full set up of clamps is required as if doing a full assembly, but the glue up gets done in two stages. This would mean, for example, one glue up at, say, 10 am and another at about 2 pm. Alternatively a 1:30 and 4:30 pm schedule would do the same thing. In both cases a full cure is effected by the next morning. Slainte.

Thanks Richard,

I like the idea of glue up in stages, but it could be a opportunity to use urea formaldehyde as I've not used it before.

Thanks

JH

Latest posts

Back