Glue for T&G Engineered Flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this question, so hope here is OK.

Our engineered oak tongue and groove flooring is floating over underfloor heated screed. Some of the joints are coming apart, especially when the heating is warmer, (i.e. this time of year).

Have any of you good people had experience of this and any advice on the glue I should use to re-secure it? (I can lever apart slightly to allow new glue line, then pull in form the edge to re-tighten)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi Greg.

Even though manufacturers often recommend their engineered oak floors for floating over underfloor heating, this kind of problem is often quite common especially with larger area floors.

I'm working on a house that was recently refurbished and apparently the builder who did the floor had this problem and ended up having to take the floor up and relay it twice.

I'd go for a good quality pva, Titebond II, or a specialized floor fitters glue.

All the best mate.

Dan

Thanks for your speedy advice, Dan and Alex.

Hmmm. Re-laying not appealing. Will have to start persuading the Missus that wee gaps add to the character.....

Wish me luck!

Dan,

Thanks for that - Yes, I thought that's what you meant. (Still less appealing than persuading the missus, though - The rugby autumn internationals have started - A far better use of my time!!)

Cheers

Greg

the expansion/contraction of a wooden floor will always vary with temp gluing the the edges will only transfer the movement somewhere else, better lots of little gaps than a massive accumulated gap in one place. You could always replace with teak of course as that is the most dimensionally stable timber you can find AFAIK.

Wildman":1lo49of5 said:
the expansion/contraction of a wooden floor will always vary with temp gluing the the edges will only transfer the movement somewhere else, better lots of little gaps than a massive accumulated gap in one place. You could always replace with teak of course as that is the most dimensionally stable timber you can find AFAIK.

I agree re the little gaps. I'm fine with it - Missus has the 'problem'.

No chance of replacement - it's about 9m by 9m. But thanks for the suggestion - could have been a solution on a samller area.

Wildman":wx44j5ui said:

Engineered flooring should not swell or shrink, that's why it's engineered (also to make the expensive timber go further) Good engineered flooring should have about 6 mm of real timber glued to 12 mm Birch ply which is a stable ply with nine or eleven layers with no voids which keeps movement down to an absolute bare minimum. This is also why they can make boards up to 12 inches wide.

Andy

Latest posts

Back