Glue for long assembley time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonjeff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I going to be doing a long glue and clamp up using MR-MDF, can anyone recommend a glue with a long setting time.
PVA gives me 20mins for clamping and squaring up which has been fine for the pieces I've done so far which are 700mm long, however the next pieces are 1500mm long, so I figure I'm going to need 40mins+, an hour would be ideal.

Jeff.

I believe hide glue has a long assembly time, but I think an hour is pushing any glue.

You might want to look at speeding up your assembly technique (rope in the wife, kids, neighbours, dog, etc) - and while you're at it going to UF urea formaldehyde glue such as Extramite might also help

Scrit

The glue with the one of the longest assembly times without question is slow setting epoxy.....the original Araldite.....it's a tad pricy tho' :shock: for a big job but it has an open time that can be measured in hours - Rob

Yes, but epoxy is ridiculously expensive stuff. Some of the Aerolite UF glues are available with different hardeners which react at different rates - of course temperatue is also a controlling factor

Scrit

Liquid hide glue has a long open time, about 20 minutes. One UK based maker and supplier is this lot, http://www.sheppyindustries.co.uk/main.htm

Urea and/or salt extends the open time properties of liquid hide glue, and perhaps some other chemicals. Hot hide glue has a very short open time, but it too can be extended with urea or salt.

Axminster also sell the American company Franklin's liquid hide glue, but you never know how old the batch is and if it's passed it's use by date until you've got it in your hand.

As Scrit says, you might want to look at your assembly routine to speed it up. Can you, for instance clamp up the job in a series of sub-assemblies? Slainte.

Thanks for anyones repiles,
senior":38j1m2uk said:
Wow 40 mins to glue up, what are you making, a house? :lol:
I'm making some 100mm sq hollow columns from 18mm MDF, the individual pieces are jointed together using a draw lock joint cutter.

I would have liked to glue up 2 pieces at a time to form a right angle section then glue them up form the box section, but I can't think of a way clamping the 2 pieces into a right angle because of the weak edges.

I think I've got to try and improve my clamping method and try liquid hide glue.

Jeff.

You could use some large square blocks like a section of fence post (but make sure it's square first)

Then you just clamp one pice to the block with just the drawer lock overhanging the edge, glue the joint and add the second piece, then jsut clamp this to the post aswell. This should give you two pieces joined at right angles and should be plenty quick enough.

HTH
J

The traditional way to glue-up long mitre joints is to glue a series of angle blocks down each side of the joint then clamp up the joints with G-clamps. Once the joint has dried the clamps are removed and the blocks knocked off and cleaned-up. Doing things that way would allow you to clamp up your box sections as two L-section pieces then join them together and do the final clamp up with corner blocks and band clamps

Scrit

Latest posts

Back