glass for workshop windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

I'm making the windows for my workshop at the mo. Quite simple affairs and will have metal mesh or bars behind for security.

I was going to put in double glazed units but thought perhaps laminated glass would be more secure and cheaper?

Does anyone have any experience of this? What have you used?

Cheers!

Double glazed units will help with keeping down the condensation on the inside, for that reason I would use them.

ok, well thats a good enough reason! :D I hadnt thought of that. Thank you.

Are there standard thicknesses for DG units? I dont want 5" triple glazed self cleaning jobbies, just something cheap and cheerful.

I'd go double glazed as well especially as you're going to put security behind them. I think you might find laminate is probably more expensive than d/g units not cheaper.

Why not have both types of gazing in one? You can have double glazed units made with one or two sheets of laminated glass. I have made lots of roof lights with a top pane of toughened glass and an inner one of laminated. You can chose what thickness of spacer bar you require,this dictates the finished thickness of the units.

Internally glazed with double glazed units which have a 6.3mm lam outer skin will be the best route -very difficult to break through and the double glazing will prevent you having condensation issues. If you have the space go for 4-16-6.3 or 4-20-6.3 units -there no difference in price. You may want toughened glass for the 4mm pane just in case as its a workshop.

Try and find a local small double glazing manufacturer to get a sensible price, rather than a high street glass shop.

If you know any local joinery companies they will probably be able to give you a contact.

Latest posts

Back