Getting Wadkin BER275 downstairs . Net and Gross weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhrwilliams

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a spindle moulder , but have a slight issue with needing to carry it downstairs to my workshop ! (My house is down about 10 steps). Im also not interested in the Axminster / other new ones as they feel like toys compared to the old stuff.

The heaviest thing I have taken down there is a wadkin 9" planer that aparently weights 245kg gross and 165kg Net. This was the absolutely the maximum weight I could possibly subject myself and friends to . It was really really heavy and wouldn't want to do it again in a rush.

Anyway , I'm looking at potentially buying a Wadkin BER2 which is 230gross and 320 net. There is no way I'm even going there if its 320kg..... http://www.wadkin.com/uploads/files/Wad ... oulder.pdf

So what is nett and gross all about ? I don't understand it really. The planer for example wouldn't weight 80kg less without the fence etc ?

Also anyone have a BER2. will it come apart and go back together easily ?

Thanks

Richard

Ive always thought gross weight referred to the weight of the machine including packaging. Id be interested to know if thats true as I have often wondered.

I'm not sure the difference between net and gross matters as it's still bloody heavy. So work on gross weight for now.

Issue is how to get 320kg down your stairs safely. Try this idea. Put a 18mm ply sheet down over the stairs, if you have to join two sheets then use battens underneath. You need to fix a "come along" winch somehow to the house structure and facing down the stairs. Move BER3 into place, hitch up and move onto ply sheet and lower down. Critical issues are how to fasten come along to house securely, how to position BER3 at top of ply and then how to ease over and control descent via come along and finally how to move from 45 degrees to flat position at base of stairs. Best to have a trolley or pallet jack at the bottom of the stairs.

Don't get killed. Don't get crushed. It's doable but needs care.

I had to move a heavy lump down some stairs so I covered the stairs with a ply board and used a heavy duty sack barrow and a block and tackle to lower it down the ramp

Thanks for the replys . To be honest, even with ply boards and block and tax, I really don't want to get into winching the machine down . I'm not really comftorble doing it to be honest and a little wary about it.

Does anyone have one , and does it come apart ? If I could take the top off it would become a lot easier and more viable

The top is held on with a few bolts and comes off no problem. The fences also come off as well. Just don't lose any nuts and bolts as they are all imperial!

Mike

Net weight is the weight of the machine out of the factory in its basic state with no added extras gross weight is with all the stuff that you add and packaging etc.

Great stuff.

The real reason for the moving issue is that I have assured my other half that the workshop gear will be moved out next year to accommodate a "garden room" opposed to my industrial spec workshop.

Hummm......lets see what happens next year, but the inevitable will be some of the gear being moved / sold. I only use it as hobby stuff so will eventually have to downscale. boo hoo

Back