Generator questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Moving soon and for a while I won't have mains power readily available to the crappy shed that will house my woodworking equipment. I'm toying with the notion of buying a small generator to ease things a bit.
I need to run (not all at the same time!) a lathe, bandsaw, table saw, pillar drill and small compressor apart from various small tools, drill, angle grinder etc.
I'm aware that start up draw will require two or three times the running current. Does anyone have any recommendations as to size or make that would suit my requirement? Is it even feasible?
Thanks

All the things you list will have a lousy power factor too. So you need to calculate the VA (volts x Amps) requirements of your tools NOT the power that might appear on the label.

Similarly the generator capacity needs to be looked at from the VA that it can provide (usually after the near to useless 12volt output power has been deducted.
Make sure you get one with decent speed (frequency regulation) otherwise your tools will be speeding up and down.

Whatever rating you calculate, get the next one up and with a known brand engine so you can maintain it with spares as needed.

If you buy good used one, then if you look after it, you should be able to sell it on once you have a proper supply laid in - which should be a high priority.
MAKE SURE your temp installation is properly earthed and fused.

Back