Gavel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
First one of these I've done and I enjoyed it. It will have a block too but the rosewood inlay is still gluing for the night. I got the outside coves wrong as I did it all by eye and should have used calipers. (One wider than the other) The wedge splaying out the handle is ebony hammered into a kerf cut.

The Yew finishes so well I seriously considered not actually applying any finish. In the end it just got a light coat of Tung oil. Fun project.

Attachments

• gavel 1.jpg
    gavel 1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,335
  • gavel 2.jpg
    gavel 2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,335
  • gavel 3.jpg
    gavel 3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,335
  • gavel 4.jpg
    gavel 4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,335
I do love a bit of pippy yew. I did one for a friend who belongs to a certain gentleman's club, and applied no finish at his insistence. After about a year he came back and asked how to clean it, so I think your decision to oil it was a good one. If you hadn't mentioned the cove, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Nice.

Bob, That is be,yew,tiful.

Seriously ; wood, proportions, finish and presentation (photography), all please my eyes.

,,,,joe,,,,

Full of character and looks like it comes from a bygone era already. I am sure they will cherish it.

A very well turned gavel Rob, lovely wood and finish. As for the cove it does not show in the photo. Looking forward to the block when it is finished

The only thing that I am concerned about is the size of the neck where it enters the head. How will it handle in the hands of an over zealous auctioneer.

Nice work, yew never fails to please! Now shall we have a whip round and get Bob a set of nail clippers...

Nothing wrong with the cove - the wider cove is for when they need to hit it harder to bring the meeting to order - include it in the instructions for use :)

Brian

A very nice first gavel.
The only thing I would change is the orientation of the wedge - not aligned with the length of the head. Sorry, but it's the first thing I noticed.

Many thanks for the input chaps...made me smile. The wedge is rubbish...agreed. Like the instruction booklet idea...undocumented feature :)

Nail clippers....I play guitar you see....badly incompatible with anything that involves spinning heavy objects :)

Some things be they useful or not are pleasing and satisfying, and this is one of them ! When I'm good enough this will be on my list. Thanks for showing.
Regards Terry

Random Orbital Bob":zutbv2zn said:
Many thanks for the input chaps...made me smile. The wedge is rubbish...agreed. Like the instruction booklet idea...undocumented feature :)

Nail clippers....I play guitar you see....badly incompatible with anything that involves spinning heavy objects :)
I take it you're a lefty then, all my nails are trimmed down on my left hand.

Ed Bray":1cb2d92q said:
Random Orbital Bob":1cb2d92q said:

I take it you're a lefty then, all my nails are trimmed down on my left hand.

Ha....I'm actually a righty...lots of people think that. The left thumb nail is the only long one on the left hand...for digging the muck out of the longer nails on the right hand!

Er...you probably didn't want to know that right? :)

Latest posts

Back