Gate build. Mortice & Tenon or Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex":2o5u1klx said:
Can I suggest, as from the sound of it you haven't done gates before, you go with one sliding gate. You can make it look like two piece but slide to one side. These swing gates are not as easy as they look to get right and 90% 0f the time go out of alignment after short use. I've had no such problem with sliders.
I've made many steel gates with wood cladding in SA high security stuff, quite easy to do with wheel gear and angle iron runner cast in concrete. You can automate these gates and you don't need swinging space for the gate leafs. Quite doable totally in wood if that's what the customer wants.

I'm fairly confident that I can get the M&T's spot on, a small problem I have is my accuracy in my work. It will be spot on.
Like the sound of sliding doors but she want to be able to put the car in the yard so will need to have double openings.

Hello. Im new to posting on here but have been reading for a while now.

Iv made a couple of pairs of gates in the past year. One set were some very heavy oak gates (75mm thick) and some much lighter and easier Softwood gates, well a gate and fence.

I would definately use mortice and tenon. Could you buy the morticer before you start? it will help a lot. When i made these two pairs i used a router to cut the tenons which made it much easier. I attatched a larger ply baseplate when doing the oak once as it made the stability much better.

When i did the softwood gates i routed a stop groove for the panels. these were tongue and groove and went together very easily. one note i would make though, as i missed this, is apply some finish to them before your final glue up as when the panels shrank lighter wood was visible where no stain had been applied.

I dont know much on pricing as one set of gates was for me and the other for my girlfriends parents. but it took about a day and a half to make the softwood ones and then half a day to fit and stain. And about 5 days on the oak ones but that was with help. there were a lot of mortice and tenons to cut on them and the top rail is actually curved, although thats not really visible on the photo.

I hope any of my ramblings have helped. a couple of piccies below to show what iv been talking about>

Ta, james

07112009109.jpg

SafeRedirect.jpg
[/img]

Nice gates! I like the bottom one but the other one is nice too!

I am going to put the dog gate up tomorrow now you have inspired me...stop the old git getting out to sneek off down to the pub as is his wont in summer...he goes begging for crisps!

:D

Jim

jameslee30":pcdk0jbt said:
I hope any of my ramblings have helped. a couple of piccies below to show what iv been talking about>

Ta, james

This post is the exact reason that I come on this site, a problem solved and other options thought through.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back