Garden Water Mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Jordan

Established Member
Reaction score
Used Watermill.jpg

Just a shot of my garden watermill after a seasons use. running about 10 hours a day with the occasional drop of oil to keep the figures moving. The wheel is covered in a green alge and the iroko is looking a bit water marked where the water has splashed and dried out.
Ive taken it in for the winter and intend to smarten it up ready for next year, Im hoping a pressure wash and coat of varnish will do the trick. I would be interested to see what Coleys larger wheel looks like now and find out if its proved popular.
Mike.

Attachments

• Used Watermill.jpg
    Used Watermill.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 343
That still looks great Mike !

The big one I made has had quite a few visitors. My elderly neighbour is its number one fan and she takes her friends and family to see it,bless.
I have had a few issues with it though !! I really wish I'd fitted an overflow. Not sure if you remember but I fitted some asbestos guttering and had the water pumped straight through the downpipe onto the wheel. You'd never believe it, but when it rains the small roof tops up the water level and if it rains hard, it's almost overflowing by the morning.
8f21d3df2f9db1d6fc396e9e085e544f.jpg

It must have raised the level nearly 8 inches in one night. The shed is only 3 metres ish long by about 1.2m wide.
Several times I've had to divert the water over the edge to just reduce the level
35f5545197347daab910ac0ba6d2bdfb.jpg

The other thing that made me feel a bit miserable for a few days was when it was soaking wet from the rain, it barely turned. I was thinking next year I'll have to remove it so it can properly dry out then oil it. All the worry was for nothing. A few turns of the grease pots and it sped up to full speed again. Not sure if it's worn bearings or whether those type just need a bit of grease frequently. Around every 6 weeks seems to keep it spinning freely so it's not that big a problem, so longs I remember.

It's weathered in now which I prefer, just the lack of overflow situation means I'll have to keep a close eye on it. I tried knocking off some of the t and g boarding to get access to the tank, but some pillock decided to glue them on, aswell as just nail them. Lol

All that said, it brings a smile to my face everytime I turn it on. I remember the struggle and how time consuming it was and I remember all your input that helped make it happen - so thank you.

I wired it up so I can turn it on using an app on my phone. My daily routine is go home for lunch, let out the dog, boil the kettle, look out the window and wait for the gush of water. Then there's a bit of suspense as the wheel doesn't move- is it seized? Finally it slowly starts turning and by the time Im ready to go back to work its spinning like the clappers with bits of water splashing everywhere -Wasted splashy water helps with the overflow problem so I like hearing the water sound ha ha.
I'll take a longer video of it running tomorrow if you like ?
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The only unexpected result I have noticed is that the water in the fish pond has stayed nice and clear this year rather than turning green as it has every other year. I've had the pond for well over twenty years and it's always had a fountain and filter in an attempt to keep it clear, it normally tends to make work but this year it's been great! I can't think of any reason for this improvement but I hope it happens again next year.
Mike.

I think the green growth on the wheel may be down to the fish (or rather the output from the fish) which is not a problem you will experience. Yes please I would like to see the wheel working. Mine has provided visitors with a smile or two, it sounds as if yours has its fans as well. Are you intending to run it through the winter or drain it?
Mike.

So keeping the water moving instead of relatively still has helped it stay....is 'fresh' the right word ?

I wonder if yours would look just as good if you were to let it weather completely? The woos should be more than upto the task ?

So longs the temperatures above freezing I think I'll continue to use it everyday. Not sure why but when it's lashing down with rain and I'm dry and warm inside, I find it quite relaxing watching it churn away. One day I'd like to have it operating things like yours, but to be honest I still haven't fully recovered from the headache it caused the first time around.

As you say the Iroko and teak will stand any amount of abuse but I think if I don't clean off the green growth from the wheel it will look a mess. You can't tell from the photo but I experimented with a string of solar powered lights round the front gable and a couple shining down through the glass panel in the roof. Considering that the lights cost about £6.00 for the lot it worked rather well. The inside is a bit grubby with insects that were probably attracted but the oil used to make the figures move, fortunately I made the white Perspex bases so that they slide out when the back is taken off.
I rather fancy the idea of a lead roof to replace the torch on felt which is already showing signs of wear and small cracks, I've still got a couple of spare figures that might be pressed into use in some way.

I'm surprised the green stuff is just limited to the wheel. I think I'd be tempted to just wash off the green stuff and see how it behaves. I'm not sure I'd have the discipline to stick to a regular maintenance shedule.

Here's a few short videos I took today. I'm sure it runs a bit slower when it's been rained on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nYeZI_ ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XqjPFq ... p=drivesdk

Here's a few pictures of it incase the videos play up.
ae93dc9e8e4a601da2e29f2365142861.jpg

You'll notice the dry spots have silvered alot already.
caed0d99ec661fca5a786aaf43d57cc9.jpg

The grease oozes everywhere.
1cf3af0fb3bbdf3ef66a2a93d95916e1.jpg

Here's a picture of it after a couple months of use.
c930e718b7aaecd8e5eab43c22645b8f.jpg

I went a bit over the top with the strawberry plants, they'll need thinning out alot next year !
If I made another one, I'd 100% save my pennies and pay for an aluminum tank. If one day the pond liner should start leaking it'll be a massive job replacing it.

Looking forward to seeing your future modifications! !

Cheers
Coley

That looks really great, the planting sets the wheel off very well. It's noticeable that there is none of the green stuff on your wheel! That gives the fish theory more credibility, particularly since we both put the wheels into use at about the same time. I had planned to pressure wash the green off but my washer has gone on the fritz so I will have to borrow my sons machine. As we both found out the time taken to build and mount any size of wheel is considerable. I'm now doing less work and running the business down, so I should have time to spend on the alterations and additions, I'm looking foreword to it and will keep you posted.
Mike.

Thanks Mike. The green fishy stuff is odd. My mums got a new fish tank and filter. Every couple weeks I have to take the pump to pieces and clean out all the gungy stuff that's causing it to nearly stop. We originally thought it was coming from the plant, but it still seems to form with the tank nearly empty besides a few plastic objects regardless.

Now a video of the corn being ground inside the shed, please. Or is it powering an overhead lineshaft with take-off belts for all the machines?

That really is a masterpiece Mike ! Getting one thing to move would have been good but you've managed to get loads of em a movin and a shakin. Have you ever thought of making a windmill? I'd imagine you could do something pretty special with that movement.

MusicMan":1en9tugu said:
Now a video of the corn being ground inside the shed, please. Or is it powering an overhead lineshaft with take-off belts for all the machines?
Ha ha, I wish. Wouldn't it have been great, back in the day to be paid to make a working mill for someone !

I have looked a few times at the YouTube sites showing whirligigs, I'm more taken with the idea of a wheel about
600 mm diameter. Its habit forming this wheel building!
Mike.

Mike Jordan":3pvv6dus said:
I have looked a few times at the YouTube sites showing whirligigs, I'm more taken with the idea of a wheel about
600 mm diameter. Its habit forming this wheel building!
Mike.
It is a bit isnt it ! After watching yours again I'm starting to think I could tweak mine a little. Perhaps increase the flow/wheel speed. I wonder how a wheel from tricoya would perform. In theory it should be amazing- 50 year guarantee on wood that's out the ground ! It would only be a jigsaw cutting exercise. Wouldn't even need to bother with housing the buckets. Screw and glue and the woods so stable it should never move/break the joints.......

Hi
This is the water mill post showing the pond net, I will see if I can post a better photo but my main computer is sick At the moment .
Mike.

Latest posts

Back