Garage door insulation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
this being my first post here, I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this but here goes.

I intend converting my single garage into a workshop. Once I get a shed built to house the two motor bikes and garden tools.

I want to insulate my steel garage door if possible and also weather strip it to get rid of the draughts. I might then install a light duty heater to keep the damp off the tools.

I intend to buy a Fox F36530 TS and would hate to see rust forming on the cast iron.

By the way congrats to all on this BB as it is extremely informative and looks like you will even tolerate Newbie's like me.

Gaz

35mm selotex (cavity bats) for the steel door, just cut it tight and wedge it in.

welcome Gaz

I insulated my metal garage door using thermowrap from Focus
it is like an alumiium bubble wrap which I stuck on with there foil tape
works a treat and still allows you to use the door easily

Nigel

kingspan or thermawrap are great. i got rid of my garage door completely and put a partition and a 38 inch door with a double glazed light as i wanted draughtproofing and did not want to use it for cars. absolutely great and very soundproof too. i bolted the partition to the concrete base/ layer of bricks. insulate between the studs with 75mm kingspan.

Welcome to the forum, Gaz!
I insulated mine with 50mm Rockwool slabs. They fit inside the door just nice. I then pop-riveted 3mm hardboard over the top to hold it all in. Worked great!
Don't forget to add some extra brushes to keep out the draughts.
Cheers
Philly :D

We used 50mm polystyrene board, seemed easier to find in small qty. It rains a lot here in Devon and the steel door is not 100% waterproof at the seams (it's a double) so they were glued flush (adhesive mastic) with the inside of the door so any leaks can still dribble out.

For keeping the damp at bay, you might want to think about a dehumidifier in preference to a heater. I used one in a garage where I had a car standing unused for long periods; before I bought a dehumidifier I'd invariably get surface rust forming on the brake discs; the dehumidifier fixed that.

Others will no doubt have more knowledge, but I have a feeling that a little bit of warmth can make the rusting problem worse rather than better; something to do with warmer air holding more moisture which then condenses on a cold surface - like a table saw.......

Back