Further "wildlife" help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
The lizard episode that I posted a couple of weeks back seems to have amused several members, so perhaps the following will generate some help for my wife and I - plus some amusement for you lot.

But 1st a lizard update - as last posted a couple of weeks ago, when he last appeared we were standing by with a cold water spray. After a quick squirt he clearly was NOT happy 'cos he disappeared at his usual high rate of knots and hasn't been seen since.

In the meantime - what the hell is this "thing" please, and more to the point, how do we get rid of it/them permanently?

Bug frontend-CC.jpg

Bug backend-CC.jpg

He's approx. 4 to 6 inches long and was slowly wandering along the lawn while I was taking a break from the workshop. We THINK he (and his mates?) are MAYBE responsible for some quite deep holes recently found in the lawn which are pretty large - about the diameter of my thumb and at least 6 inches deep as far as we can tell - but without any signs of earth spoil around the entry to the holes like worm casts.

ALSO we're a bit worried as there's a fairly young willow about a couple of metres away from where this geezer was found on the lawn and there are similar holes appearing in the main trunk of that tree, the only difference being that the entries to these holes appear to be surrounded by fine dark brown saw dust.

I tried to get a couple of better pix of him, ideally turning him over as well, but sod's law dictated that my camera battery ran out and by the time I rushed in and fitted a new set he's disappeared, presumably into a nearby hole in the lawn.

Since taking this pix yesterday, we've had almost continual heavy rain and although I have looked several times he hasn't re-appeared so far. Rain is forecast for the whole forthcoming weekend so I don't hold out much hope of another sighting soon.

I know there are lots of people here with much more knowledge than my wife and I so we're hopeful of some good steers - for example, knowing absolutely nothing about what to call him, would you Google something like "ugly pink garden slug/worm/bug"? :D

TIA

AES

Attachments

• Bug frontend-CC.jpg
    Bug frontend-CC.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Bug backend-CC.jpg
    Bug backend-CC.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,062
It's one of those lizards, but in the face-hugger stage. :-D

Seriously though, I usually associate a big pink caterpillar with the Sphinx Moth, but I'm not sure.

That looks more like a moth caterpillar to me. Are there actual legs? or just mobile points?
We have a similar sized one as per the pic, but ours is the oleander hawk moth.
Well over 4" long and fatter than most peoples thumb.

IMG_9450_zps1pav8q2v.jpg

Find what they're feeding on, pick some and put it and the food in a jar with air holes. Then wait for it to change.

Or just ask your neighbours or people in the area

We have ripped out the oleanders now. The caterpillars were becoming so many that they were stripping whole bushes bare. And the POO! Jeez, they ate 24 hours a day.

But I think that Swiss "bug" might be another caterpillar form, not that I know much of anything, mind.

Thanks to all - although we're forced to say that the humour this time didn't match the 1st time round :D

@Claymore (Brian): Thanks for that. I've sent them an E-mail with my pix but no answer yet. BTW, they're called "AES"!

Thanks Fitzroy, I think you're right - their pic that you found looks just like mine. I'm chasing that site too, but also no answer yet.

The main thing as far as we're concerned is do we have to do something about this guy or nor not? I'm checking more into that site (thanks for the link) but as far as we're concerned we don't want to go using poison or something if these moths are just big moths flying about and don't eat anything we're bothered about. OTOH, having planted the willow about 20 years ago and now having it doing nicely, if these caterpillar thingies are going to eat the tree from the inside and end upbringing it down, then we want them out of there. But again, OTOH, if they're just going to live in there and do no damage, then they're welcome.

We did ask the neighbours but no one we asked had a clue.

More info when I get some.

AES

Yup thanks, that's it exactly. Only difference is our guy was a bit slower moving than the Dutch one.

Still looking at Internet stuff to see what to do, if anything.

AES

AES":1z2u8trb said:
... our guy was a bit slower moving than the Dutch one.

... because the Dutch one doesn't have any hills to contend with. :-D

If you google "goat moth timber damage", it brings up a lot of references. Basically, they seem to cause a lot of damage to individual trees, but are relatively rare and declining in numbers in the UK so the conservation bodies are quite keen tht they should be lef t in peace.

NazNomad":cxoepfn0 said:
AES":cxoepfn0 said:
... our guy was a bit slower moving than the Dutch one.

... because the Dutch one doesn't have any hills to contend with. :-D
And I bet they don't ride 4 abreast! :D

Sorry .......... couldn't resist.

Back