Furniture making courses, who's done one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dann

Established Member
Reaction score
As title really... I'm a site carpenter and wish to go more furniture/ cabinet side of the wood trade and I'm thinking about doing a course, I've narrowed it down to a couple but if anyone has any experances with any provider could you let me know please.
Pm is fine if your rather.

I did one in York last year, made a vanity mirror with a box/drawer underneath. It taught us correct ways to do joints and it covered most of the common ones. The drawer used dovetails, the mirror frame used half lap, we veneered the whole thing and we also did some binding and other fancy bits.

well worth the money and time.

I have done the Bench making course and dovetailing course at Chris Tribes workshop in Ilkley, good style of teaching , the emphasis being on understanding the techniques and getting it right.
Even with mixed abilities in the groups of people I was with, all produced a really good bench, or very acceptable hand cut dovetails.
The courses are very much hands on with a good mix of hand tool work and/or machines where appropriate.

If you want any further info, feel free to PM me.

Hugh

davem62":1n6hc0lz said:
hi Lee who did you use in york ,please
thanks dave

I went to York College, Adrian salton is the tutor. Runs from Sept - Jun.

I did level 1 last year and plan to do level 2 next year. I think it's a City and Guilds course.

Hello guys,

New here so I'll say hi.

I'm currently on a furniture course in Leeds, they run it at the building college. There website is not very good though so definitely worth giving them a ring.
Small group and hand tool orientated but some machines are used.
A little bit far from Newcastle but one long day a week makes it worth while.
I hope that's useful.

Hello Dann, a lot depends on what experience you already have and what you want to do when you've finished training.

Back