Furniture design/make university courses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing a bit of background research for one of my pupils at school. I was wondering what universities offer furniture design courses at undergraduate level, I've had a look at the UCAS site and they seem to be few and far between, there's a couple of foundation courses, but they don't seem to lead to a full degree.

One course I found was at New Bucks University - BA (Hons) in Furniture: Contemporary Design, but there doesn't seen to much more out there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Aled

Have you tried Rycote Wood, their level 5 sound like what you want, or possibley Parnham & West Dean?

J

The Rycotewood and Bucks new Uni course are essentially the same, they work together in offering either the foundation degree or the full BA.

I'll have a look at Parnham & West Dean now.

Thanks
Aled

Whats the age i think apprenticeship would be a good route thats what im doing but the course is an nvq lvl2 bench could go on to 3. I thinks the hardest part is finding a good maker who is willing to teach and happy for you to work and make mistakes

Thanks for the info guys.

Leeds looks like the place to go, but it'd be a very long way from home for him, he's the only person that can decide how far he wants to travel.

It seems that Parnham has closed down, there certainly doesn't seem to be any recent info about the collage or it's courses on the net. West Dean seems to concentrate on restoration/conservation, so unfortunately not really what I'm/he's after.

Unfortunately the Apprenticeship route isn't really that viable either, as the student in question would like to keep his options open as regards a future career, he's even considering becoming a D+T teacher :shock: :shock: . He's only 15/16, so it's only natural that he wants to keep his options open, heck, I didn't have a clue what I wanted to at that age, the only thing I was absolutely sure about was that I definitely didn't want to be a teacher! :roll: :roll:

Other options may be an Uni course in industrial/product design, but he'd have to sound out the collages to find out if he could concentrate on furniture type projects.

I'll report back when I find more info.

Cheers
Aled

Haha yer i had no idea i wanted to try everything lol if you can try to get him some work experience with a maker that would be a massive help i think

Dibs-h":2l7gbb25 said:
moz":2l7gbb25 said:
Hi Aled,
Leeds has a very good reputation and is worth investigating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjIjqlaKag
http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/our-cou ... re-making/

John
+1. One of our forumites teaches on it - Richard.
Interesting to see my ugly mug has made it on to You Tube. I had no idea that video I'm in was posted there!

But yes, I do run the FD/BA(Hons) in Furniture Making course at Leeds College of Art. It's almost certainly too late to apply for entry onto the course beginning this September, not that Aled's pupil is at that stage anyway. Slainte.

Aled

Both Nottingham Trent Uni and Kingston Uni do BA (hons) in Product and Furniture design. There are also some good courses at University of Central Lancashire but not sure what level they are aimed at. A friend of mine undertook a furniture design course which was very good at UCE but dont know if this is still running.

Hope this helps

Kev

Sgian Dubh":3shwgg5d said:
Dibs-h":3shwgg5d said:
moz":3shwgg5d said:
Hi Aled,
Leeds has a very good reputation and is worth investigating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjIjqlaKag
http://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/home/our-cou ... re-making/

John
+1. One of our forumites teaches on it - Richard.
Interesting to see my ugly mug has made it on to You Tube. I had no idea that video I'm in was posted there!

But yes, I do run the FD/BA(Hons) in Furniture Making course at Leeds College of Art. It's almost certainly too late to apply for entry onto the course beginning this September, not that Aled's pupil is at that stage anyway. Slainte.

Richard, do you know anyone who does distance learning courses? I've looked but can't find anything.

Froggy":14f76h5g said:
Richard, do you know anyone who does distance learning courses? I've looked but can't find anything.
Froggy, I can't ever recall hearing of anything along those lines. It's perhaps considered a bit tricky to teach skills such as dovetailing by hand and the use of heavy machinery that way: my tongue seems to be stuck to my cheek, but I suppose teaching theoretical elements of the subject might be possible. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":2tb9n1et said:
Froggy":2tb9n1et said:
Froggy, I can't ever recall hearing of anything along those lines. It's perhaps considered a bit tricky to teach skills such as dovetailing by hand and the use of heavy machinery that way: my tongue seems to be stuck to my cheek, but I suppose teaching theoretical elements of the subject might be possible. Slainte.

I know, I felt a bit stupid asking the question as woodworking is a handons subject. But I thought there may be a course where one can do the theory at home and turn up for practical lessons 4/5 times year. I knew it was a long shot, but if you don't ask these questions you never know! Cheers anyway.

Back