Funky Banjo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the screw keeps coming lose under here? If I tighten it too much the banjo seizes up and is a real pain, I've tried applying teflon tape but to no avail.... I have to keep stopping to adjust now 😡😡 cheers
IMG_20211008_114027.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_114024.jpg
    IMG_20211008_114024.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 51
If you know how much torque to apply to the fastener each time then get some Blue Locktite and put a dab on it when you snug it up. Blue Locktite isn't permanent like the Red stuff is but it will prevent the fastener from coming loose and if you need to remove it you can. Other brands might use a different colour coding system. Permatex uses the same as Locktite.

Pete

Is there a washer between the head of the bolt and the banjo it tightens against? If not I would add a plain one and maybe a fibre washer between the bolt head and the plain washer just to give enough "catch" . Or plain washer and a spring washer between the head of the bolt and the plain washer

Use Loctite as mentioned above. Don't worry about the colour, they all work and can be undone with a bit more grunt on the spanner.
Alternatively, fit a nyloc nut in place of the existing one - this is good enough for One-way and Jet.
Or fit a locknut if the screwthread is long enough (two nuts tightened against each other)
Duncan

Sorry if this is not good practice,
Just wondering if graphite or candlewax might improve matters?
I have this issue with my tailstock, but not worried about it, infact I was thinking of improving tolerances, to get better alignment for drilling jobs.
Would a low profile split washer do the trick, or a conical one?
Keep us updated
Thanks
Tom

I've not forgotten Linus, not sure when it's going to happen but i'll let you know.....
Much obliged. My log burner awaits with excitement🤥🤥🤥

By the way, if you have difficulty getting Loctite in you patch, or you're tight like me, you could try a blob or two of nail varnish as a quick fix.

Much obliged. My log burner awaits with excitement🤥🤥🤥

By the way, if you have difficulty getting Loctite in you patch, or you're tight like me, you could try a blob or two of nail varnish as a quick fix.
Top tip 👍👍

Back