Front Vice Position

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on a mo Tony has got it right, Why would you want to plane up to a stop this put all the forces in front of the plane iron, Not a good idea for a smooth finish.
Right handed people will as Tony's picture shows work off the bench, allowing the saw to pass the bench top and more importantly the users knuckles to miss the vice should anything go woopsie.

Right Handers and left hand vices [-X its a wind up

Bean

Bean":2ypm4tx9 said:
Why would you want to plane up to a stop this put all the forces in front of the plane iron
Eh? :-s

Bean":2ypm4tx9 said:
Right handed people will as Tony's picture shows work off the bench, allowing the saw to pass the bench top and more importantly the users knuckles to miss the vice should anything go woopsie.
That's why you have saw horses and bench hooks. :roll:

Urgh. I've dropped into a parallel universe where people start agreeeing with Tony. :shock: Someone pinch me; it must be an 'orrible nightmare... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf wrote:

it must be an 'orrible nightmare...

I fear it may be so. Sorry but Tony's method appears quite logical (captain), although if you can only afford one vice... :?

I just revisited this thread after independently coming to the same conclusion as Tony. Not having a bench, for the last umpteen years I've used my workmate. Whatever I'm cutting sticks out the right hand side of the workmate. The lefthand used to steady the workmate.

It's starting me to question at which end of the bench I should put my front vice. Left is traditional but it just feels wrong to me..now that I've thought about it.

Ha HA!!!!

I'll soon bring you all over to the dark (RH vice) side :D

As Bean (a fellow engineer) says, it stops your knuckles form hitting the vice - lesson one as an apprentice

Tony, could you give any more details of your tank-proof tail vice, or has this been covered elsewhere?

Jake

Gill":3dni9p4y said:
Oy :x ! Enough 'leftie' bashing. We've got enough to cope with as things are.

I don't want to been seen as a leftie basher, I have some friends who are lefthanded, however..... A little bit of trivia. The original meaning of sinister was lefthand or on the left, dexter was righthand or on the right. So now you could describe your bench or vise as sinister with a certain degree of smugness in your verbal knowledge.

Of course smugness and gloating are not things that members of this forum would partake in. :roll:

I just knew this lunacy would raise its ugly head again. Saints preserve woodworking benches from engineers... :p :roll: :wink:

Okay, so when you cut through a piece of wood, the off-cut to the right of the vice, what happens when the weight of the off-cut becomes greater than the remaining wood fibres can stand? It falls off, ripping a chunk of your timber with it, n'est pas?. This does not happen to metal, which is why it doesn't matter that you can't readily support the off-cut with your other hand. And what kind of daftie knocks their knuckles on a woodworking vice anyway? Oh, wait, of course, an engineer... :lol:

Duckin' and runnin', Alf

Perhaps it would be better to have two vices( :D )

Place the timber in each and cut through nothing would then fall off :shock:

devonwoody":37lrn6yo said:
Perhaps it would be better to have two vices( :D )

Place the timber in each and cut through nothing would then fall off :shock:
And you'd have two lovely benches instead of one...? :lol: :lol:

And you'd have two lovely benches instead of one...?

And with the addition of a few legs you could do a complete test program on RH versus LH vices as you would have both :D

FWIW I kind of agree with Tony, the LH vice is a bit annoying but hang on a minute, my primary degree is in Mech. Eng, all is becoming clear :roll:

Les

Alf
Okay, so when you cut through a piece of wood, the off-cut to the right of the vice, what happens when the weight of the off-cut becomes greater than the remaining wood fibres can stand? It falls off, ripping a chunk of your timber with it, n'est pas?. This does not happen to metal,

Yes it does, and in fact metal vibrates when it is cut foar more so than wood which has more damping. But when you are cutting wood in a left handed vice there would be the same effect as the wood will not be supported at both ends.

The right hand side is the most logical side for a vice, its simple really :roll:

Bean

Bean":p54zfpbi said:
But when you are cutting wood in a left handed vice there would be the same effect as the wood will not be supported at both ends.
Only if you've forgotten to bring your left hand into to the workshop with you... Or you're sinister, of course, in which case you should have the vice on the right anyway. :wink: And yes, metal breaks off at the bottom of an unsupported cut, but I've never seen the unsupported piece take a chunk out of the piece in the vice when it drops off as it does with wood.

Cheers, Alf

Vice on the left hand side for me too, but there again that's how it came. :?
But it does seem so natural and the normal way to do things, but then I was a Physics/Maths person.
You do have to remember that engineers believe in such things as centrifugal force. :roll:

Alf":1ceoq537 said:
Okay, so when you cut through a piece of wood, the off-cut to the right of the vice, what happens when the weight of the off-cut becomes greater than the remaining wood fibres can stand? It falls off, ripping a chunk of your timber with it, n'est pas?.

That's why you always cut over-length :lol: :lol:

Roger

Jake":1prgp4nt said:
Tony, could you give any more details of your tank-proof tail vice, or has this been covered elsewhere?

Jake

Hi Jake

Not covered elsewhere.

Basically, I got a standard bench vice and then machined out the guide bar holes to twice the standard diameter. I then fitted phosphor bushes in the main casting using with holes in them that were 1.5 times the original guide bar diameter (about 22mm now). Finally I replaced the guide bars with some steel that is 1.5 times original diameter and machined all faces square and parallel.

I mounted a huge chunk of wood across it with wooden dog in.

or more accurately, my machinist mate at work did most of this for me :oops:

Latest posts

Back