Front room makeover.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I've not been on the forum for ages simply being too busy in retirement which I find is a full time job with maximum overtime and no holidays. In the last year I've installed new double glazing units to the bungalow front; given two bedrooms and our front room full makeovers and done quite a bit of pointing plus other jobs. I've just completed the front room makeover it taking about two months.

Due to gas safety regulations Bron and I chose the high efficiency gas fire; tiled surround and hearth and had these installed by two Corgi registered fitters who moved in with us for about five hours doing a wonderful job.

I had installed a new coffered ceiling and wainscot panelling to our master bedroom and had some MDF left over so I used this to make the new fireplace mantel which I designed ending up only spending another £12 for three lengths of MDF to finish it off. I designed the mantel so that the two pilasters are free standing; the upper unit is attached to a wall batten with three drywall screws and the top shelf is unsecured; for future decorating I can quickly remove the mantel; I sprayed the mantel using my Apollo Pro Spray 1500 but used brush and rollers for the remainder. The colours are Raspberry Bellini and brilliant white both in Dulux Matt.

The wall picture frame panels and dado are moulded using a big router out of 300' of softwood using a Roman Ogee cutter. Mitred half laps were cut with the aid of an home made jig and each joint glued using woodworking adhesive; the frames and dado are secured with 65 mm lost head nails punched below surface and the indents filled using Toupret snagging filler which is absolutely brilliant stuff. Wickes decorators caulk was also brilliant for bridging the small gaps between moulding and wall.

Bron chose the carpet choosing well and it was installed by carpet fitters using new underlay. Total cost was around £2,600 which is a real bargain considering the new fire was £1,600 and the new carpet £800. It's totally transformed our front room and its a pleasure to toast our toes on the new coal effect gas fire. I enjoyed this project and did it because Bron simply mentioned our front room carpet was wearing a bit thin? Bron is my best friend and wife so she deserves better than just a carpet. I hope this is of interest.

Kind regards, Col.

Room makeover_001.JPG
Room makeover_002.JPG
Room makeover_003.JPG
Room makeover_004.JPG
Room makeover_005.JPG
Room makeover_006.JPG
Room makeover_007.JPG
Room makeover_008.JPG

Attachments

• Room makeover_001.JPG
    Room makeover_001.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_002.JPG
    Room makeover_002.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_003.JPG
    Room makeover_003.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_004.JPG
    Room makeover_004.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_005.JPG
    Room makeover_005.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_006.JPG
    Room makeover_006.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_007.JPG
    Room makeover_007.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Room makeover_008.JPG
    Room makeover_008.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,419
I think it looks very stylish. How did you handle the issue of heating (radiators?) and tech equipment including cables (TV?) without clashing with the overall classic theme?

Hi,

Thanks for asking Martin. There is a large central heating radiator behind the Chesterfield sofa. I upgraded all the 13A sockets so that there are now four double 13A sockets below the TV in the wall and the co-axial runs along the top of the carpet adjacent to the skirting it being a white cable so doesn't stand out although I could easily run this under the floorboards as there is good access. The fireplace makes a beautiful focal point and we are delighted with the makeover in general. The woodwork isn't complicated but attention to detail does make a difference. Below is a picture of the extra sockets which get hidden once the table and TV are in position.

Many of the spacing's for the panels are 3" so I couldn't use my 4" paint rollers; I had considered trying to shorten a 4" roller but decided to browse the web to see if short paint rollers were available; I found just one supplier and bought a good stock of 2" paint rollers to cover both oil based paints and emulsion. They worked a treat and for the first time I tried using a foam roller applying satinwood and was amazed how quick and easy it was; the window sill is 12' long and used to take quite a while to paint with a brush but using a brush for cutting in then running the short foam roller over it must have taken all of two minutes leaving a wonderful blemish free matt finish.

Kind regards, Col.

Room makeover_005.JPG

Attachments

• Room makeover_005.JPG
    Room makeover_005.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Nice tasteful makeover you've done there! the wall colour is very similar to Woburn Abbey Red, as I recall.
I can see the attraction of a gas fire with no messing with fuel location and storage.
Personally I like the winter's colder months, the rayburn chugging away, getting in from the cold, but not a lot
Surpasses 'Er indoor's stew's and hotpots.
Regards Rodders

In my opinion and I think yours too, you have certainly made a huge improvement to your room. I like the large, bold fireplace and the panelling effect, it suite the old (style) tables you have. Excellent job sir, I'd be proud of that.

Latest posts

Back