Friday SketchUp Tips (FSUT)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
At Neil's request here is another installment of the irregular FSUT. I hope at least a few find them useful.

The first tip has to do with a Ruby script called WELD.RB which is probably one of the most useful scripts out there. It's a free script written by a fellow called Rick Wilson. It is available here: http://members.cox.net/rick.wilson/links.html Also take look at some of Rick's other scripts. You might find them useful.

In the attached drawing you can see the effect of the weld script on the molding I drew. In the left hand view you can see all the lines created during Push/Pull (P/P). they are drawn off the intersections of the line segments that make up the curves. For this simple example I'll admit that I exploded the curves to get those lines. There are situations where you might end up with this sort of thing happening even without exploding the curves.

Those lines can be cleaned up by hiding them or softening them but you have to hold either Shift or Ctrl while running the eraser over them. for this short length it wouldn't be a big deal but imagine this is a crown moulding wrapped around a long run of cabinets of different depths. That would be a lot of work.

The molding on the right shows what you get by running weld before P/P (or Follow Me for those long runs of moulding). In this case I selected only the segments that make up the curves I wanted welded and then ran the script. I did this three times so I could keep the lines on either side of the central bead and at the bottom (right side) of the curve below the bead.

I selected the bead at the left and the longer curve up to the bead and ran the weld script. I choose the "No" option for "Close Curve?" and "Yes" for "Find Faces". Then I move on to the next group of segments I wish to weld.

You can confirm that the scripted worked by trying to select one of the segments in the curve. The entire welded length should turn yellow.

Weld.gif

Tip number 2 for today may be a repeat. It covers the use of cutting planes to create mitres in complex shapes such as mouldings. This has many applications besides mitres but this is just a simple example. Just follow the steps.

miter1.jpg

1. The molding to be mitred.
2. With the aid of construction lines, draw a plane at the mitre angle through the moulding.
3. Select the plane (double click), right click and choose Intersect with Model.
4. Erase the waste and the plane perimeter. Done.

I think the best way to think about cutting planes is to imagine the plane as a saw blade cutting through your wood. It doesn't have to be a straight cut either. You could draw a curved path from which you could create the cutting geometry. You could also use this idea for drawing angled holes such as for pocket screws if you wanted to create that much detail.

An ellipse is formed by cutting through a cylinder at an angle to the centerline. You could create that ellipse using this cutting plane idea with a cylinder. You could even create a parabola by cutting a cone with a plane parallel to the axis of the cone. It goes on and on, too.

Well, that's it for now. I hope there's a little something there for someone. I'm open to suggestions for these tips. feel free to send me a PM if you have some subject you'd like me to cover.

Dave

Excellent, Dave, I'll get Weld.

Here's how I draw an ellipse.

Draw a rectangle the proportions of the ellipse I want (eg 200 x 100mm)

Draw a circle inside it (100mm dia)

Scale the circle to fit the rectangle. (drag red axis to edge of rectangle).

Cheers
Steve

Great tips, Dave - thanks! I'm particularly pleased to hear about Weld - its exactly what I need 8)

Cheers,
Neil

Thank you gentlemen.

Steve, your method is easier especially if you know the length and width of the ellipse. My main intent was to encourage folks to perhaps think about ways to approach the creation of more complex shapes.

Neil, what is that boat in your avatar and where do you sail it?

Dave
That's great thanks - I've just downloaded the script and tried it out - works a treat. (And enabled me to discover Ruby scripts ...)
Please keep these tips going if you can - great to learn some Sketchup tips anyway - but ones related to woodworking are a real bonus.
Cheers
Gidon
[Edit: the Bezier scriptis quite nifty too - a little more powerful than the curves tool.)

Dave R":2ajq641m said:
Neil, what is that boat in your avatar and where do you sail it?
Dave, its a Dart 15 - a 15' single-handed catamaran. Or at least it was, they have renamed it as a Sprint 15 now. Its good fun, especially when you sail it in its Turbo version with the jib & trapeze - it will do around 16 knots or so in that configuration. I prefer to sail it on the sea (west coast of Ireland) but at the moment I'm mostly lake sailing.

Cheers,
Neil

Dave, How did you draw the moulding to actually get all those lines from push pull? I dont seem to get them whether I use Steves method of rectangles and squares, bezier curves or circles joined by straight lines :?

Fairly steep learning curve on this for me - while a like the sketching format and the quick 3D model generation, I still find myself reverting to CorelDraw if I want an accurate 2D plan of something. Not sure if its because I havent given it enough time or if I am being dense! At the moment it is simply frustrating me, which is a shame beause it has loads of potential.

How about you set us a challenge - name something for us to draw and see how different users get on and the approaches they take. Might prove just what can be done with this system.

Cheers,

Steve.

StevieB":323s9bdw said:
How about you set us a challenge - name something for us to draw and see how different users get on and the approaches they take.

Ooooh I sense a competition coming on. :wink:

Neil, it looks like fun.

Steve, as I said in the first post, for the example I exploded the curves so those lines would show. Of course I wouldn't normally explode them in practice. You would get one those lines at the join between arcs and Bezier curves or where an arc is tangent to a line. You would also get those lines if you copied a profile you had already used for Follow Me and then used the copy for another extrusion.

I see this frequently in models that others have sent to me when they are looking for assistance.

Here's a simpler example. On the left, Push/Pull without weld. On the right, Push/Pull after welding the arc and the two attatched lines. This would be a simple clean up but if you had radii on all four corners, you'd need to orbit around to take care of all the lines generated.

weld1.gif

I like the idea of a challenge. Let me give some thought to it. I have a couple of ideas for subjects but I'll also come up with some ground rules.

as to the 2D files, there really is no reason you can't do them in SU. Maybe that should be the next installment of FSUT?

:oops: It wasnt meant to be a competition, just a way of seeing how different people approach the same goal. There is so much to learn to get a good grasp of sketchup I just thought it might be a better way than lots of posts discussing specific points. A pic and a brief description of how you drew it I thought might be helpful :)

Steve.

Well, we don't have to make it a competition but I think we should have a bit of a challenge to it. I like your idea of having a bit of description from the artist about how they drew the object.

Ah, got it 8) I was trying to weld after push pull, not before. Makes sense now :D Many thanks for the simpler example Dave.

I have to go to Brussels for a 4 day conference next week, think I might take sketchup on my laptop to pass the time!

Steve

Gentlemen: if you want to draw those mouldings quickly and easily in sketchup, this site provides autocad drawn profiles:

http://www.sfvictoriana.com/profile-index/

Click on any of the profiles on that page, and you get a detail box for it, which includes a 'DWG' downloadable file of it... Right click, and 'save as' (if you don't have a DWG viewer, then just save it as a DWG, and then import into sketchup from within sketchup).

Clean up any unwanted lines with the eraser, and then you have a very useful, ready dimensioned moulding profile to play with... :wink:

OK folks, here is a challenge. A comp, if you like, although I'm not offering any prizes.

Does everyone have a Bailey No.4 plane? I bet you do. Or a Veritas LA smoother? Well how about we model one of those? It's small enough to take out of the workshop and sit next to your computer whilst you model it, and as everyone has one, or a similar plane, we should all be able to get accurate dimensions, etc. If you don't have such a plane, choose something similar from your tool kit. Or just use it as an excuse to go and buy one :)

Who's up for it?

Cheers
Steve

Shady - good find. And just trying one a perfect example of one to use that weld script Dave introduced - without it the face isn't closed and can't be pushed / pulled.
Steve I like that idea - difficult though for us newbies perhaps? But I'm still up for it. Why not just leave it as any plane that takes ya' fancy?
Cheers
Gidon

If we do enough different tools, Alf will be able to model her workshop completely! :shock:

Rob, I guess you guys use CAD to produce your tools, if you'd like to send me the files, I will translate them to SU (unless you use SU that is), that'd get us started :wink:

gidon":18qie7u0 said:
Why not just leave it as any plane that takes ya' fancy?

Why not, indeed. It's just that the narrower the criteria, the easier it is to make direct comparisons. But let's not get anally retentive about this - any plane it is.

Any more takers?
S

:oops: sorry for this Dumb a** question but I cannot fathom how to load these ruby scripts into SU can someone please explain for this poor da !

from a sweating HS in a hot "workshop" aka my dining room tobe :shock: :?

Hi Karl

Locate the script - they all end .rb .

Right-click and Save As ... in your Plugins directory
(probably C:\Program Files\@Last Software\SketchUp 5\Plugins ). That same directory should also contain Ruby.rb, which seems to be some sort of engine that they all use - might be wrong about the ALL bit, but many Scripts seem to need it.

In Sketchup, you need to have Ruby Scripts ticked in Window|Preferences|Extensions.

Unless the script loads itself somewhere else, it will appear in the Plugins menu along the top of your screen.

HTH
Steve

Steve has the right instructions for getting the scripts into SU. Some scripts are accessed through the context menu and only appear if the selection could be acted upon by the script. Others might show up in tools or Draw (i.e. Bezier.rb). you can tell where to find them by opening them in WordPad or NotePad and looking at the last few lines. It will tell you where the script will appear and what the entry in the menu will llok like.

Latest posts

Back