freud blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i am after a freud blade for my scms since my trend blade just lost a tooth and through a piece of cocobolo at me which has ripped a chunk out of my ear, smashed 2 flourescent light bulbs so i got showered in glass as well, and cracked a wall socket, not to mention my thumb is throbbing from the kick :cry:
anyway non of them mention negative rake or angles at all for that matter
but i am thinking the design makes them anti kickback anyway. Am i right ?
i will be mainly cross cutting hardwoods so thinking of 40 - 60 teeth
Any ideas ?
there are a few on ebay 1 example
here

but the experience today has put me in a wary situation in making sure i get the right blade :(

Ps. whats the code to hide the url and show a word on these boards ?

A SCMS as with a Radial arm saw should always use a negative rake blade nothing else! Usually they state on the blade if they are for use with these machines. The negative rake is designed to hold the timber onto the fence as a positive rake blade would try to lift the timber up into the blade. I am sure Scrit could inform you much better than I but I think you get the gist from this. I bought my sawblades from Summit who also sell on E-bay and on there blades it states which machines it should be used for and also I think in the adverts. Sorry to hear about the 'Accident' but at least your ear can heal, it could have been a lot worse, they don'[t take prisoners!

Mailee is absolutely right only use a negative rake blade with a SCMS.

From the look of the pictures both the links have positive rake blades.

Depends how many teeth you want but the code numbers for suitable Freud blades with a 5 degree negative rake are;

LP20M 019; 24 tooth £22.10
LP30M 019; 48 tooth £31.30
LP40M 019; 64 tooth £37.60

These are the list prices by the way.

Hope this helps

Keith

suprasport":uys4ayh8 said:
...non of them mention negative rake or angles at all for that matter but I am thinking the design makes them anti kickback anyway. Am I right ?
Mitre and radial arm saws should have blades with a zero rake or negative rake for the reasons stated - pushing the work down onto the table and reducing kickback. The Freud catalogues state the hook angles of their blades so it might be worth requesting one from them:

Freud Tooling (UK) Ltd
Units 6&7 Whitehall Cross Business Park
Whitehall Road
Leeds
LS12 5XE

Tel: 0870 770 4275
eMail: [email protected]

Might I enquire how you make a cut? Do you drop the blade down and then pull across, or do you pull out, drop down then push back?

As to suppliers, might I also recommend Ernest Bennett in Sheffield? They aren't a million miles away from you and they manufacture saws here in the UK - the point is that they only sell through their own reps and saw doctors. They can, however, tailor a blade to youtr specific requirements should you need it.

Scrit

Hi,
I pull out, down and back in.
Thank you for the links i will have a look at the sheffield one, its only 10 minutes away :wink:

suprasport":t97xwomu said:
Sorry to have asked that but I've even seen people on the box (e.g. Tommy Walsh) do it the other way and try to use an SCMS like a radial arm saw and that in turn can induce a bit of a kick.

Scrit

Scrit":22tz4qcg said:
suprasport":22tz4qcg said:
Sorry to have asked that but I've even seen people on the box do it the other way and try to use an SCMS like a radial arm saw and that in turn can induce a bit of a kick.

Scrit

No apologies needed where safety is concerned :wink: seen it done the other way myself and seen it kick as well but to me its seems natural to to pull out first and push in :eek:

I spoke to Summit saw blades recently 01727 827640 and was impressed with there comprehensive infomation on blades and applications well worth talking to and blades a good price.

a technique i am very keen on, that helps prevent kicks is to keep the blade down at the end of the cut until the blade stops. this stops small pieces binding. the brake on my dewalt seems to operate at random intervals after letting go of the trigger.

I do use Summit Sawblades Old and have to admit they are very good for the price. I have one on the tablesaw another on the radial arm and one in the SCMS. Only thing I can foult them with is they sing a bit when they are spinning. Cut great though and accurate too. :wink:

Latest posts

Back