Fret saw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardo16

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im currently using an old coping saw but its not very robust due to its age.

So im on the look out for a new one. I have been looking at the Rob Cosman fret saw from classic hand tools.

Now could anyone tell me other than dependant on size of material your intending to use the saw on, is there any difference between the 3inch and 5 inch?

What do most people opt for.

Adam

What do you want your saw for? Are you wanting to cut curves or just cut a fine kerf? I have an Axminster special coping saw, cheap and cheerful

Removing the waste once you've cut the sides of the dovetail I assume? If not then you need a decent dovetail saw

I own a cheap one from Screwfix (Eclipse, I think?) and also a Stanley one from Tilgear. Both of which are fine for removing the waste between pins and tails. I don't see much significance in the throat depth when you can rotate the blade to deal with most cuts anyway.

If you're using a thin, Japanese saw to make the vertical/angled cuts then you'll ideally need a thin-kerf coping saw blade. Standard blades are generally too wide for this thin kerf - I'm sure Classic Hand Tools sell them.

OPJ":m1aujwzz said:
If you're using a thin, Japanese saw to make the vertical/angled cuts then you'll ideally need a thin-kerf coping saw blade. Standard blades are generally too wide for this thin kerf - I'm sure Classic Hand Tools sell them.
I use a cheap fret saw from Axminster (Groz I think) that uses standard skinny fret saw blades. If the vertical or angled cuts are too thin for the fret blade, you can always remove the waste by sawing directly down and into the corners in two cuts (so that you don't use the straight saw cuts at all) - Rob

woodbloke":3av9ph9b said:
OPJ":3av9ph9b said:
I use a cheap fret saw from Axminster (Groz I think) that uses standard skinny fret saw blades. If the vertical or angled cuts are too thin for the fret blade, you can always remove the waste by sawing directly down and into the corners in two cuts (so that you don't use the straight saw cuts at all) - Rob

I've never seen a DT saw leave a kerf too narrow for a FRET saw (or piercing saw) blade.

Coping saw blades are a different matter.

Here's a diagram I made (for a previous discussion) of the multiple cut technique Rob describes:

dt_wast.png

The cuts go fast, because they're in the waste - so you can hack away with considerable vigour :)

BugBear

Hi,

The best coping saw is the Eclipse one, but if you make a small bowsaw to take coping saw blades you will be able to properly tension the blades, resulting in a tool that cuts where you want it to cut.
Here's mine made from maple and some 6mm brass bar.
DSCF0039.jpg

You don't have to make it as fancy as that.

Pete

Ironballs I currently use a jap saw and find them absolutly fine. I just wanted a new fret saw to remove the waste.

Olly my old fret saw was brilliant just a shame its bloody broke. I currently use a cheap saw at college and hate the bloody things. Maybe its the blade, but i just liked the look of the rob cosman fret saw.

Hum maybe i will just go ahead and buy one, or take a visit to the new axminster when it opens round the corner from me, but i know i wont come out with just a fret saw :twisted:

Back