french doors in american white oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i have just completed a pair of french doors in american white oak. I want to finishg them with something that wont change their colour. I also need something that is low maintainance - the job there going on is south facing and I know the owners wont want to strip off old varnish before recoating.. Can anyone advise me on the best finish to apply?

many thanks rog

Hi Rog,

Exterior finishes are a bit outside my field, but if you don't want to change the colour too much then you need to be looking at water-based products. All solvent or oil based finishes will significantly darken the oak.

I don't suppose you'd go far wrong with a Ronseal water-based exterior lacquer from B&Q

Cheers
Dan

Rog

I guess I'm like Dan in that exterior finishes aren't my strong suit, but if "south facing" means that the doors will get a significant amount of direct sunlight then you might want to find a good varnish, water-based or otherwise, with UV inhibitors.

Back