Free wood arriving soon...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just to let you know, there's a tree coming down soon across the road from me. I know it was burned (burnt?) in a fire a few weeks ago, but that was just the twigs / leaves in the crown.

It's Silver Birch, approx 14" diameter, 80" long to the fork. Two branch stumps are about a couple of feet long, slightly smaller in diameter.

I've asked for the trunk to come as one piece, branches separated if poss.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WILL BE MOVING IT!!! I suggest a couple of strong guys (me included), and a trolley of some sort to get it down the walkway (narrow).

I'm in Derby, so pm me if you want it / some!

Mailman14

(Following the Black Walnut offer - cheers Digit!)

That is going to weigh in the region of 50Kg so not too bad once you have it under control.

Too far away for me I'm afraid.

Bob

Bob, storage is not a problem - I'll just hoik it into my back garden for you! If no-one seriously wants it, it'll end up as (gulp) - firewood...

O.k. - I'm running...

Please take along a camera. I would love to see you try and move it.

I am not sure where you get, it will weigh in at 50 kilos, but if i have it right at just under 7foot, at 14" at the large end and guessing at 12" at the top the weight will be over 400lbs. Good luck, the forestry commission consider Birch as weeds. The guy cutting must love the thought of you all cleaning up. I am sure if you ask him he will have lots more for you to have if you want to. :wink: :wink:

Have fun.

markymark12":ywdgja4t said:
I am not sure where you get, it will weigh in at 50 kilos, but if i have it right at just under 7foot, at 14" at the large end and guessing at 12" at the top the weight will be over 400lbs.

erm bit of a cockup on the calculation front on my part.

Bob

MarkyMark - as I said, it's across the road, in the neighbours back garden. As for weight - it'll be a goon 'un - (chainsaw available!), also the gap to get from front to back is about "yay wide" - stick your elbow out, measure from there to your opposite shoulder.... Works for me - I've got long arms! :p

I'll be guessing that pipe carrier wouldn't get in the gate, so a sled on castors should work - have husky will pull...

And also as for the Forestry peeps - wodd is wood, who cares what they think of this species? If you want it, can do summat with it, it's free, come and get it (soon).

Please be careful with your back(s) (sorry).

Is Silver Birch worth the hassle?? If you were closer I'd like to see how it turns. But generally I've not heard it used much ? Certainly not in the flatworld.

The 400 lb estimate is pretty near the mark.

I've used birch to make little things like spoons. It's certainly not durable, but it cuts and turns quite easily, and I believe it wears reasonably well. It's probably under-rated as a timber because the tree itself is short-lived, and hardly ever grows to any reasonable size.

I thought the same as Wizer, with all the trouble involved is it really worth it? Its not like wood is that expensive, especially not Silver Birch? Don't get caught up in the fact that its free. Apparently it makes for good furniture according to google, but once you've planked it and dried it for years and its take up a whole load of space, is it really worth it?

I've heard that silver birch isn't a lot of good for anything apart from... Well, firewood!! :shock: You may be able to turn something out of it but, I wouldn't get hung up on any idea of planking and drying this lot... :?

Oooh my back!!
As I suggested earlier ethics have frequently to give way before economics. I've just finish chain sawing three feet off the top of a Leylandii hedge, I'd love to pass it on to someone but what use is it?
I've got several tonnes of Scots Pine logs awaiting removal as well. Recently I removed two old plum trees and was eventually able to pass it on to a turner friend but most locally felled timber ends up as smoke.

Roy.

Here's a thread showing how I moved some Silver Birch using a logging arch and then a winch to get it up a steep slope.

You can Google logging arches to get so ideas of how to make one and how they work. here is a YouTube video of one in action.
I made mine the day before using an old multi gym and trolley wheels.

A pipe carrier would also work but do you have access to any lifting equipment to get one end off the ground to get the carrier underneath?

Save your backs. A log 14" in diameter is not even worth planking allowing for bark, sap, shake, pith. If it is for turning then just shorten it into easy to manage lengths.
How were you planning on planking it?
With the price of firewood these days most logs are ringed up and sold split.
It always seems a good idea free wood, but unless it is something special, local and easy to have uplifted, then you are wasting your time. Trust me i have been there many many years ago.

Hi all, thanks for the posts - seems I've opened a can of worms inadvertently... :eek:

MarkyMary - wasn't sure on the planking bit to be honest! That's why I offered it on here - other people probably have better contacts than me I'm sure. I could have split it with a maul / froe? Not sure which is the correct term!

I've a mate with a chainsaw, so "ringing" it (cutting to short lengths?) and splitting ready for fire wood seems like the end result - possibly more splitting to get stuff on my lathe - only a model makers, so no real opportunity to make anything on it - exept practicing, when I eventually get some turning tools of course!

Thanks again, for pro's and cons of Birch and its' possible uses. :D Most useful to me.

'Bvt

Although its not that commonly used, Birch does have applications in furniture and general woodwork. Although I'm fairly close to Derby I think I'll leave you to it with this one.. :D

Cheers, Ed

I have planked some of my Silver Birch with a chain saw, just the smaller limbs, to see what it looks like on the inside. The rest seems to be showing signs of mould growth so I may see if if spalts nicely. Otherwise, I have plans to install a wood burner to upset those who currently get a free supply of firewood from me! :lol:

Don't be too quick to dismiss birch, I have some lovely spalted birch in my workshop, some of which I planked (short lengths) and plan to use for box lid panels or similar.

If you find some nice large burrs on the tree then save those also for interesting bowls and the curly grained sections are also popular for making knife handles.

Cheers, Paul :D

Here's some of the spalted birch I mentioned, apologies for the poor pics, it's not really all yellowish, thats just because I used the wrong setting on the camera :roll:

DSCN0096.jpg

Cheers, Paul :D

Latest posts

Back