Free trade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading in the news today about free trade between UK and USA with talks starting next month.As I'm not to clued up on this type of thing will this mean any tools etc we buy online from USA we will just pay normal post and package with no import duty?

Don't trust anything the EU tries to do. If they blew up Brussels and Strasbourg, there'd be a catch to it somewhere.

I have copies of the Directives on bananas and cucumbers, taken before they disappeared from the Europa search engine. If anyone tells you they were a myth, they weren't.

E.

Eric The Viking":1jz0mwoc said:
Don't trust anything the EU tries to do. If they blew up Brussels and Strasbourg, there'd be a catch to it somewhere.

I have copies of the Directives on bananas and cucumbers, taken before they disappeared from the Europa search engine. If anyone tells you they were a myth, they weren't.

E.

the "they must be straight" directive - I remember that - as far as free trade goes; will it include the abolishment of 100USD = 100 GBP rule that seems to have been the case for decades now?

http://www.ukipmeps.org/uploads/file/Europe on387m a day.PDF here it is PDF

rafezetter":ohm3j0q9 said:
as far as free trade goes; will it include the abolishment of 100USD = 100 GBP rule that seems to have been the case for decades now?

We have that 'rule' largely because British people are stupid enough to pay those prices, not for any other reason.

There will always be a significant difference in sticker price, because USians have their sales tax added on at the checkout - they're used to browsing the equivalent of ex-VAT prices, and their sales tax is generally lower than our VAT anyway. But after taking that into account we're still being taken for a ride, because... well, they've worked out that they can get away with it. No trade agreement is going to convince them otherwise until Brits stop paying over the odds for things.

Back