Free-standing temporary stud wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart.grimshaw

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The place I’m using as my workshop is rented and inside a metal shipping container with plastic lining on the walls, not something I could really screw into even if I was allowed.

I want to put up a temporary stud wall to kind of line the inside, but I don’t want to do the whole thing, I want to start with a 2x2m end wall. The far wall in this video

How can I keep the wall upright if I can’t fasten it to the roof or other walls?

I was thinking of using a bunch of wedges to keep it in place, would that work?

Another idea was to make 2, 2×2 sections and put them up to form a corner that would then be fastened together to provide a bit on strength, 2 of the sides would still be floating free though.

Are you putting a bench in front of the wall?

How about mounting the wall to the back of the bench. Otherwise as you say wedges might work?

We are doing the same in our portable offices as driving screws into thin steel isn't going to work too well.

The corner idea will the strongest and most stable free standing structure.
Otherwise height adjusters are the way to go. Put some rubber draught excluder seal on top edge, then add these adjusters to the bottom, then adjust up to make tight seal against ceiling, could same on sides, one edge seal and other edge adjusters. You could even do two adjusters on top, two on bottom and two one each side, then adjust them all to give a tight fit.

These are the adjuster type I'd use,

Screenshot_20230128-234826_Amazon Shopping.jpg

FIGFYOU 4 Pcs Heavy Duty Furniture Legs Leveler, Furniture Leveling Feet Adjustable Feet for Workbench Baseboard Adjustable Brackets for Furniture,Table, Sofa, Cabinets, Workbench (5 x 4 x 3.9cm) FIGFYOU 4 Pcs Heavy Duty Furniture Legs Leveler, Furniture Leveling Feet Adjustable Feet for Workbench Baseboard Adjustable Brackets for Furniture,Table, Sofa, Cabinets, Workbench (5 x 4 x 3.9cm) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Last edited:
You don't say why you are lining it. If it's to protect the existing walls then you could stick battens to the walls with a few blobs of the solvent free version of no more nails. It will hold them in place, but will peel away from the plastic fairly easily If you need to remove it later. Then just screw ply or whatever to the battens. If it's insulation, then I doubt you are going to make much of a difference unless you use pretty thick panels, which will reduce the size of your space even further.

Are you putting a bench in front of the wall?

How about mounting the wall to the back of the bench. Otherwise as you say wedges might work?

We are doing the same in our portable offices as driving screws into thin steel isn't going to work too well.
I’m not going to have the bench in front, the lower half will probably just be wood storage. I also want the bench to be on wheels so can’t attach the wall to it.

Back