Free shipping - Veritas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack in Nepean

Established Member
Reaction score
As noted in previous post, I have lurked on this board for a number of years and have learned a tremendous amount about hand tools. Thank you all. It's now payback time.

My daughters have a friend who travels to England at least twice a year. I live a few blocks from Lee Valley's head office and manufacturing complex and store. Since she travels to England with near empty suitcases, she has agreed to transport 3 planes and some small stuff (up to 10 kg) each trip if there is some interest. Given what I have seen of prices for Veritas planes in the UK, I would expect that some of you would like to save a bit. She will be flying in to Heathrow and travelling to her abode in Bedfordshire for a stay of about two weeks, beginning in August. The next trip is scheduled for Christmas. My knowledge of UK geography is, sadly, abysmal. Perhaps you can work out the logistics. She could arrange local shipping if required, or, one of you could pick up the goodies and make local arrangements.

My original plan is to have you order that which you wish directly with LV, paying via credit card. I would pick up the orders at the local store's express pickup and arrange shipment with Olivia. It would be necessary to specify me as the pickup person. This would ensure that Olivia is not out of pocket for things in which she has no interest. If anyone has a better plan, please don't hesitate to advise.

In addition, I have a Medallion Toolworks dovetail saw (lovely) and know Ed Paik. He's a wonderful guy and I'm sure we could work something out if anyone was interested. Saws are much lighter than planes.

This arrangement would be entirely on trust - you trusting me to forward the goods through Olivia and me trusting you not to abuse the carrier. She is a sweet kid. Given that I currently have a selection of Veritas planes (LA smoother, LA jack, scraper plane, cabinet scraper, router planes (both), cast iron edge planes (both) and other bits and pieces, it is unlikely (though not impossible) that I would be overly tempted to keep your purchases for myself.

Given that woodworkers tend to be more than a bit different from the normal stream, I would hope that this would work out with no problems. I have no desire to make anything out of this arrangement, nor does Olivia. In addition, her friend travels here to Ottawa twice a year and I think would be willing to transport small items (chisels, perhaps) back for my use.

As noted, I have no interest in making anything on these transactions. You, on the other hand, have direct access to a number of sources that interest me. High quality chisels at reasonable prices for example. Aled Dafis' infill smoother kit looks very tempting as well (can't afford Konrad's coffin smoother on a pension - and couldn't on full salary either). Export prices might be a bit better too.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, please contact me via pm.

Cheers
Jack

P.S. I have no relation to LV other than as a very satisfied customer. I hope this proposed arrangement doesn't annoy Rob Lee or interfere with any UK commercial arrangements.

What a kind gesture you've made :wink: I would think some of the members will be a little suspicious as you have not really posted much! Wish I was in need of some more hand tools! its the powered ones I really need now......

Jack in Nepean":2fu0uf61 said:
My daughters have a friend who travels to England at least twice a year. I live a few blocks from Lee Valley's head office and manufacturing complex and store. Since she travels to England with near empty suitcases, she has agreed to transport 3 planes and some small stuff (up to 10 kg) each trip

I think (I'm fairly sure) there are "custom's issues" in this plan.

BugBear

Jack, that's a fantastic plan and I'm sure that members will avail themselves of it, but I agree with BB that HMRC will probably want a finger in the pie :roll: :wink: - Rob

Hi Jack. This is a very kind offer. However, I am sure you can understand that there will be some trust issues here. We have members from 'across the pond' who post much more regularly than you and have built up a kind of invisible trust. Members here will be wary of your offer and you can understand why. It is incredibly kind of you and I think it might be worth a few low cost items at first. Or perhaps a cash reimbursement on delivery for this first time.

I can certainly appreciate your concerns with respect to the "trust" issue as well as the customs issue. The trust is up to you. From what little I have been able to distill from the obtuse online customs documentation, imports of this nature would not require anything more than the LV invoice and may require the payment of duty and VAT at time of importation. I have not been able to find the rate of duty (if any) as yet. A call to the local high commission should sort that out.

The offer stands and anyone wishing to take advantage of it is welcome.

Jack in Nepean":36rf6xu5 said:
You, on the other hand, have direct access to a number of sources that interest me. High quality chisels at reasonable prices for example. Aled Dafis' infill smoother kit looks very tempting as well (can't afford Konrad's coffin smoother on a pension - and couldn't on full salary either). Export prices might be a bit better too.
Hi Jack (you can't say that on an aircraft),

With regard to you purchasing tools in the UK: Purchases for export are not subject to VAT (15%). I've found that (depending on the size and weight) the cost of shipping can be less than the cost of VAT - and that's all the way to New Zealand. I believe VAT can be reclaimed at the airport on departure, but your daughter would have to ensure she didn't try to take a nice set of expensive chisels onboard in her hand luggage ("It's alright officer, they're not honed yet") :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2tjnwkkg said:
she didn't try to take a nice set of expensive chisels onboard in her hand luggage ("It's alright officer, they're not honed yet") :roll:

Cheers, Vann.
...or she'd have to drop them into the bin at the gate :cry: :cry: along with all the other 'sharps' - Rob

Jack in Nepean":1s5i677b said:
I can certainly appreciate your concerns with respect to the "trust" issue as well as the customs issue. The trust is up to you. From what little I have been able to distill from the obtuse online customs documentation, imports of this nature would not require anything more than the LV invoice and may require the payment of duty and VAT at time of importation. I have not been able to find the rate of duty (if any) as yet. A call to the local high commission should sort that out.

The offer stands and anyone wishing to take advantage of it is welcome.

Allowance: travellers from outside the EU may only bring back goods and souvenirs to a maximum value of £145. If goods exceeding this value are brought back, duty will have to be paid on the total value of the goods.

(
http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/custo ... to-uk.html
)

rate:

Commodity code 8205 30 00 00

* Planes, chisels, gouges and similar cutting tools for working wood

duty 3.7 %, VAT 15%.

site reference

So, taking the LA Jack, at 229 dollars, canadian, we have a price (in GPB) of 229/1.79 = 127.9, to which we add 18.3% to get 151.34

Axminster list 220.95, so even "playing nice" this is a substantial win.

BugBear

bugbear":80v2zaj6 said:
[

Allowance: travellers from outside the EU may only bring back goods and souvenirs to a maximum value of £145. If goods exceeding this value are brought back, duty will have to be paid on the total value of the goods.

(
)

rate:

duty 3.7 %, VAT 15%.

site reference

So, taking the LA Jack, at 229 dollars, canadian, we have a price (in GPB) of 229/1.79 = 127.9, to which we add 18.3% to get 151.34

BugBear

BB

I think you'll find that this has now increased to £340.

Waka":1y4qt5nl said:
bugbear":1y4qt5nl said:
[

(
)

rate:

duty 3.7 %, VAT 15%.

site reference

BugBear

BB

I think you'll find that this has now increased to £340.

I may be missing a joke here, but both sites still list the prices as I quoted them.

BugBear

He is refering to the allowance value of souvenirs brought in to the Uk from outside the EU.

bugbear":e2cyk239 said:

rate:

duty 3.7 %, VAT 15%.

To that $229 Canadian, you'll need to add Canada's GST & PST, which seems to be approx 11%-11.5% (from LVs Vancouver store anyway - my BIL picked up a few items for me a couple of months ago).

Jack, is Canadian GST & PST able to be reclaimed upon departure?

Cheers, Vann.

tulsk":ooihrf49 said:
He is refering to the allowance value of souvenirs brought in to the Uk from outside the EU.

Ah - "pronoun trouble".

(tippety -tappety google)

HMRC":ooihrf49 said:
From 1 January 2009, the other goods allowance will increase again from £300 to £340. However, there will be no further increases to any of the other allowances.

HMRC site

My first site must have been (badly!) out of date. Sorry about that.

BugBear

Vann wrote

To that $229 Canadian, you'll need to add Canada's GST & PST, which seems to be approx 11%-11.5%

Is this added to the advertised price (as in the USA) or do they display the full price?

Rod

Latest posts

Back