Free magazines on line inc Fine Woodworking Archive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this already, but wanted to give it another mention as I expect many will have missed the additions to the master list of downloadable goodies at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post665893.html#p665893)

The "magazine rack" at the Internet Archive has had a huge boost within the last three months.

You can now fill up your tablet/laptop/PC with 221 back issues of Fine Woodworking from 1975 to 2011, as well as stacks of copies of "Shop Notes" "Today's Woodworker" "Wood" and "Woodsmith."

That's a huge resource of articles, projects and plans which used to be impossible to find or expensive.

If you want to find an issue of FWW by number, use this link (which is for issue no 1) and just change the number at the end: http://*************

For the WW stuff, use the links in the sticky; for other titles of interest, start browsing here: http://**************

AndyT":1yj8hwv0 said:
You can now fill up your tablet/laptop/PC with 221 back issues of Fine Woodworking from 1975 to 2011, as well as stacks of copies of "Shop Notes" "Today's Woodworker" "Wood" and "Woodsmith."

Fab!

Ian

just had a look at the download site but can't see a download button? do you have to subscribe to Fine Woodworking to download them? :?

mailee":1b264fid said:
just had a look at the download site but can't see a download button? do you have to subscribe to Fine Woodworking to download them? :?

No subscription needed. Use this link *** and then choose the format you want from the "View the Book" panel on the lhs - pdf; epub; Kindle etc. (Right click on one of these to 'save target as' or equivalent in your browser.) You can also read on-line to see what is on offer.

Ah yes got it! Thanks Andy. ~Sorry for my ignorance, i think technology passed me by somewhere along the line. :oops: :roll:

mailee":1rh6oolz said:
Ah yes got it! Thanks Andy. ~Sorry for my ignorance, i think technology passed me by somewhere along the line. :oops: :roll:

No worries - I think you got an extra helping of woodworking productivity instead! :)

That's a great resource thanks Andy, but am I right in thinking that things like the index page are missing from the iBook and Kindle versions?
They are on my iPad but not on the "view online" version.

Rod

Harbo":zhet2022 said:
That's a great resource thanks Andy, but am I write in thinking that things like the index page are missing from the iBook and Kindle versions?
They are on my iPad but not on the "view online" version.

Rod

I did notice that sometimes an issue will open some way in - you can always get back to page 1 by dragging the place marker (at the bottom of the page) to the left.

AndyT":14s3q2uk said:

That's a huge resource of articles, projects and plans which used to be impossible to find or expensive.
Thanks for this, very useful.

Jim

Does anyone what what the copyright issue is here? Are these mags available with the blessing of the copyright holders or is this just a load of pirated material? I certainly hope it is the former, but if my work appeared in this way, when I own the copyright, I would be very miffed. I've just successfully completed one IP battle over unauthorised publication, I wouldn't want to do it again.
S

Steve Maskery":1yjiycse said:
Does anyone what what the copyright issue is here? Are these mags available with the blessing of the copyright holders or is this just a load of pirated material? I certainly hope it is the former, but if my work appeared in this way, when I own the copyright, I would be very miffed. I've just successfully completed one IP battle over unauthorised publication, I wouldn't want to do it again.
S

I did think about this carefully before posting the original link.
I can't imagine that Taunton Press and the other publishers don't know about it. The Internet Archive is a huge, prominent site. My guess is that although copyright still exists in these works the publishers have accepted that the genie is out of the bottle and anyone who wanted to get the content for free would have found a way to do so elsewhere already. So there's no point in their trying to hold back what has already happened.

So I can assume that anything I write in an effort to pay for my rent and food will be made available to everyone for free and so I may as well not write at all?
Just because it is big and prominent does not make it right and proper. The Pirate Bay was big and prominent, it wasn't honest.
If royalties are paid in the same way as paper libraries do then I would support this whole-heartedly. If that is not the case, however, this is just theft, like someone stealing your iPhone, car, wallet or anything else.
Please convince me that I am being unnecessarily pessimistic.
S

Steve, if you write an article for a magazine, who holds the rights for that article? You, the magazine or the publisher?

If the publisher decides to give the magazine away for free in the future after publication for some reason for example, do you have any say with what happens with your article?

John

Haven't Fine Woodworking and Popular woodworking been flogging CD/DVDs recently that cover all past issues? I am sure these sell for $1-200. If that is the case why would FWW give these away?

speeder1987":27zb54vv said:
Steve, if you write an article for a magazine, who holds the rights for that article? You, the magazine or the publisher?

If the publisher decides to give the magazine away for free in the future after publication for some reason for example, do you have any say with what happens with your article?

John

There is the Designs, Patents and Copyright Act of 1998. It states that the default position is that copyright resides with the originator (in this case the writer) for a period of 70 years from first publication, or, if it is not published during the lifetime of the author, with his estate for 70 years from the date of his death.

There are a few exceptions to this. Anything a Civil Servant writes in the course of his employment is Crown Copyright. Also, anything that an employee writes in the course of is job is owned by his employer.

So if I had been employed by Future when I wrote for Good Woodworking back in the 90's 00's, then Future would own the copyright and could do with it whatever they liked. Such as sell it, for example. But as I was a freelancer, with no contract of employment, then I retain the copyright for 70 years. So when My Time Media bought the GW title, they did not buy with it the right to republish any of my articles. I believe we have now settled that issue.

Of course, there is nothing to stop an author from selling the copyright. If that is part of his contract with a publisher, then that is a matter between the two parties, but it is not the default position.

S

Steve Maskery":ocz8vcot said:
But as I was a freelancer, with no contract of employment, then I retain the copyright for 70 years.

Noting that had your contract to produce the freelance work stated that the commissioner owned the copyrights, that's also above board - it's not uncommon at all for freelancers (at least in other fields) to do creative work for hire which they don't retain any rights to.

My understanding is that the owners of archive.org actually do very little curating of the content they host; it's asserted by whoever uploads it that the material is licensed in such a way to be legal to distribute freely, and it's then left up to the actual owners to contest it if they want it taken down. If you want to be sure that this FWW archive is above-board, I think you'll have to contact the publisher and ask.

Back