Free give a way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just replaced my belt/disc sander so the old one is up for grabs if anyone wants it. I don't want anything for it but I cannot send it by courier, it would have to be collected. It;s a Charnwood with a 4 inch belt and a 6 inch disc. It still works fine, you just have to give the belt a gentle push when you switch it on, if the capacitor was replaced it would be like new again and I think they are only a few quid. I live in the Ammanford area of South Wales.

Had one of those senior moments earlier. I made a new welcome sign to add to my range, just got it finished and was admiring my work when I noticed something odd. I had left the L out of welcome, I wonder if the punters would notice.

Chippygeoff":2u9erto0 said:
Had one of those senior moments earlier. I made a new welcome sign to add to my range, just got it finished and was admiring my work when I noticed something odd. I had left the L out of welcome, I wonder if the punters would notice.

If anyone does notice and says anything, just claim it's a Christmas version - no "L".

Chippygeoff":dezluop4 said:
. . . It still works fine, you just have to give the belt a gentle push when you switch it on.

I have the Draper version and have always had to start it that way ;-)

Nice one Sporky. never thought of that. Barry, it seems to be a common problem with the cheaper sanders, never was much power in it.

The sander has now gone to a good home.

Hi Geoff,
I see you have replaced your disk/belt sander, my question is did
you buy the cark DS48 you were praising a few days ago?
and is it realy as good as you said?. many thanks ..... Geoff3....

Hi Geoff3. I replaced the old sander with the Clarke CS48 and it is really good, in fact it's the best sander for it's size that I have ever had or seen in other workshops. Prior to my visit to Machine Mart I had not beemn in one of their stores for a few years because when I was in there at that time I looked at all the wood working machinery and tools and came to the conclusion they were just not worth the money and buying what would have been total frustration and a very short life span. When I went in recently to get the sander for my friend I was quite surprised, some of the machines were still rubbish but a lot was really good stuff and very competitive in price.

I have had the sander for a week now and used it almost every day. I had some pieces of really good wood but had cupped slightly and on the new sander I quickly got them flat and usable. I am amazed at the sheer p[ower of the machine, depsite how hard I hold the wood to the belt it never flinches, I could never do that with the old one, most sanders are under p[owered but not this one. The other huge bonus is that it has built in dust extraction so I don't have to take the hose off another machine when I use it. I don't use the table on the belt as I would lose some of the belt length but I do use the second table that came with the sander on the disc and it is a very generous size and will easily support anything I make. On top of that it is solid and bilt like a tank.

Back