Franken’saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyEssex

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon making a user out of a couple of well gone saws. Nothing special but it cuts nice and true.

I had a brass backed tenon saw without a handle and a steel backed dovetail saw with a nice handle. Both was un-named. I’m not sure if there is any difference between steel and brass backed saws, but I do prefer the look of a brass back. I swapped the backs over after cutting the brass to size and cleaned the handle up using AndyT’s restorer recipe. I jointed the teeth flat and re cut the teeth to 15TPI.

A few hours we’ll spent as I didn’t have a DT saw and was considering purchasing a Veritas or similar.

Attachments

• BF14691E-4B7F-4D3E-A80B-32D6DC2E8048.jpeg
    BF14691E-4B7F-4D3E-A80B-32D6DC2E8048.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 677
  • EE9E5FE8-BD00-42AE-B854-C33926F6125D.jpeg
    EE9E5FE8-BD00-42AE-B854-C33926F6125D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 677
  • 5A9F178A-B990-4800-AB1E-223D943844E2.jpeg
    5A9F178A-B990-4800-AB1E-223D943844E2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 677
  • FA251AD2-2C68-4906-9EC2-697427DB3DC0.jpeg
    FA251AD2-2C68-4906-9EC2-697427DB3DC0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 677
AndyT":2q164cfz said:
Well done! Satisfying, isn't it?

It sure is Andy, and not as daunting as you would think. I could do with a lot more practice filing, and understand fleam and the angles of different teeth more, but its definitely and enjoyable task.

deema":abnrco8e said:
That’s a good looking saw well done.

Is the picture of the teeth before or after sharpening?

The following is I’ve found a good source of both saw handle, saw tooth templates as well as general info on saw geometry.

http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/index.html

That was before sharpening, ah awesome, Bugbear sent me a pdf template for teeth but that was a couple of years ago now and I no longer have the email.

Thank you, I will bookmark that link

Phew, I hoped the teeth were the before!!

A nice gesture if you don’t want the left overs would be to complete the saw and give it away. Tools for Africa for instance. Just a thought if that hadn’t been your plan already.

Nice job Danny. Cracking result.

Near my house I have a bit of land that was once industrial units but in a fairly lighthearted manner. Been closed for a couple of years and the digger went in a while back and knocked a few bits and pieces about but never properly tore down the units. It's all a bit half hearted tbh. :roll: They are waiting to build houses on it so it's probably a brownfield planning dodge.
One unit was obviously knocking out kitchen units. I sometimes squeeze through the fence and pick up some scrap timber. There's about 3 miles of moulding laid end to end in there but what can you do with it? Nada. :(
I have picked up a couple of rusty saws. Tat really but I kept them for the brass spines which are true. Because, well, you never know.... :wink:
Does anyone have a idea of where I could buy saw plate? I could google all this of course. But a wise word is worth a thousand photos in the internet age.
So it's worth an ask.
I'm just kind of formulating an inkling of notion of the concept of an idea at present if you know what I mean. :D
Don't mean to detract from Danny's excellent saw in any way but it seemed the right place to ask. Hope that's ok.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, I reckon the cheapest, easiest source would be a cheap hard point saw. You'd need to cut the teeth off of course. There's been discussion here somewhere about how to do that - maybe an angle grinder, a fine disc and some sacrificial wood backing?

Or if you want lots of them, maybe a phone call to Thomas Flinn in Sheffield would persuade them to sell you some - they must be the biggest customer for it in the UK.

This is in full expectation that your saw making project will take precedence over all that trivia like decorating the house and earning a living! :D

Cheers Andy. Usual rock steady advice. I was overthinking it as usual!
Mamy thanks as always.
Chris

Back