Fox Mitre-saw - not having much luck...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddler

Reaction score
I just bought a FOX F36-253 sliding mitre saw, and I'm really struggling to get it to cut a 90° cut.
I should say that this is the first mitre saw I've owned (apart from the completely duff one I got delivered last week, and have now returned), so I've not got any experience setting them up before. I made a cut with it at the 90° setting, but found it was quite a way out of square. So I adjusted the fence, so that the fence was now square to the blade, but when I pull the slide out, its no longer square. At this point, I realised that the fence has to be square to the slide (if that makes sense?).
Therefore I think to get the cut square, I need to adjust the 90° stop point. The only problem is, this doesn't seem to be adjustable - it works by a spring loaded ball popping into pre drilled holes on the casting - one hole for each stop-point.
So my question is - am I missing something here, or have I got another duff saw?
Is this sort of problem common?

Cheers,

Andrew

Is the blade vertical then set and lock the 90 then check the fence with a engineers square try a cut use planed timber and check for 90 again you may have to tweak the fence to get a perfect 90 if it all works fine if not there is a problem with the slide mech.supplied blades tend to give poor cut also any side play in saw spindle.

Thanks OLD,

I think you're right - its basically the alignment of the slide mechanism relative to the 90° mechanism that's wrong.
Any ideas on how to fix it, or do you think I should send it back?

Yup. I bought one and had the same issue. If you flip it over you will see a ...... ( how to describe it from memory?) a metal circular ring that locks the setting detent ball lock that you describe. I adjusted this with 10 mins trial and error settings and it was fine. Just a factory QC issue, but forgivable at the price because overall its decent kit for the money.
If its something other than the turntable ring plate then ring Rutlands or wherever you got the saw from and ask for the number of Hamiltons the importing agents for Fox, they are helpful

PS Its the only issue I have had with the Fox saw, otherwise its a very good unit

Hamiltons number is now

hope they can help

in have had one of the saws for a year or 2 and it has been ok 4 me but it does eats brushes

andy

A simple thing, but...I have a B&Q SCMS. I thought the cut was way out of square, but after setting the bladeAND screwing the handle/locking mechanism, I now have an acceptable cut. Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs. Rick.

Latest posts

Back