Four MDF Alcove Units - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chippy1970":147diraa said:
Nice job Dan.

Now where did you get that WHITE :shock: Makita radio I have only seen blue ones.

Hi Chippy

That's my Makita. I got it from e-bay about a year ago, and I believe it was imported from the states.

I primarily got it because it has an input for an MP3 or CD player, but the new blue Makita radios now come with the same input.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":3avq27wz said:
chippy1970":3avq27wz said:
Nice job Dan.

Now where did you get that WHITE :shock: Makita radio I have only seen blue ones.

Hi Chippy

That's my Makita. I got it from e-bay about a year ago, and I believe it was imported from the states.

I primarily got it because it has an input for an MP3 or CD player, but the new blue Makita radios now come with the same input.

Cheers

Karl

Yeah there are a few people I work with who have the blue ones they have a really good sound and as you say you can plug an ipod into them too.

I just did a search and you can still get the white special edition ones on ebay.

Here I'm screwing on an end panel

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits034.jpg

Hi duncan the end panel in the photo,How wide is it,i notice that you add a piece of timber to the inside of the unit ,but i see in one of your photos the other side of the face frame is inline with the unit itself with no added timber inside the unit, does this mean you use two different types of hinge inset and layon. I have just looked at your cutting list ,it says the stiles are 60mm so if the flush side is 60mm minus 18mm carcass thickness that leaves 42mm,so the side in your photo above end panel would be minus 18mm for carcass plus 22mm for the return would i be right in saying the extra piece of timber you add to the the carcass for the hinges would be 20mm? thanks.

BradNaylor":1s77qnvu said:
You've confused me a bit there mate but yes, I do use a mix of lay-on and inset hinges on most of my jobs. Inset on the outer doors and lay-on on the inner doors usually.
Hi duncan the photo above the end panel how wide is it 60mm i guess so when you fit it to the carcass it over hangs the inside of the carcass by 20mm,because if the return piece is 22mm and the carcass is 18mmyou are left with 20mm,so then you have to add a piece of 20mm thickness timber inside the carcass see the photo below so it is in line with the edge of the end panel so you can attach the hinge to it? ,so you used inset hinges for both sides of the unit ?

Workshop16309034.jpg

The added piece of timber is in this photo on the left of the unit ,it looks like a strip of softwood inside the carcass .

Back