Forum users' Table saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Startrite TA175. Classic cabinetmaker's saw--no frills, but smooth, robust and precise.

By the way, a lot of you don't know when you have a great thing in your own backyard. I hear so many Brits lusting after a Delta Unisaw because Norm has one. My Dad has one, and he is very impressed with my Startrite; the first time he used my saw, I couldn't get him away from it for hours. They're both classic cast iron cabinet saws with smooth cast iron trunnions, in fact my Dad and I both think the Startrite is slightly smoother and quieter. (Kind of hard to compare side by side though as mine's in Scotland, and his is in Missouri.:) )

Brad

Craftsman - one of the last all cast iron, with several additions courtesy of Veritas and Rigid.

Now running with a 2HP Motor in place of the original

Ploget

Ploget":uksu1vxf said:
Craftsman - one of the last all cast iron, with several additions courtesy of Veritas and Rigid.

Now running with a 2HP Motor in place of the original

Ploget

Are you saying that the frame holding the motor under the table top is also cast iron?

wrightclan":3f7y202e said:
I use a Startrite TA175. Classic cabinetmaker's saw--no frills, but smooth, robust and precise.

By the way, a lot of you don't know when you have a great thing in your own backyard. I hear so many Brits lusting after a Delta Unisaw because Norm has one. My Dad has one, and he is very impressed with my Startrite; the first time he used my saw, I couldn't get him away from it for hours. They're both classic cast iron cabinet saws with smooth cast iron trunnions, in fact my Dad and I both think the Startrite is slightly smoother and quieter. (Kind of hard to compare side by side though as mine's in Scotland, and his is in Missouri.:) )

Brad
Well I'm glad someone else said that...... :D

You can add a Ryobi ETS1825 Table Saw to that list now since that's the one I'm using... and I'm rather happy with it.

Technically I have a Clarke CTS10 table saw too.. but the gearbox built onto the motor broke after a very short life, so it's not in service any more, and a replacement motor costs the same as a new saw.

Fecn, why not put it up for sale on ebay with a true description someone else might want some spares.

Or in your local free adverts paper.

Can I tell everyone the following true story; I purchased a new TV last year and the old model was still in working order (smaller screen) but I put it up for sale in the free adverts section at £50. The first purchaser came along and said you are only asking £50 for that TV I will give you £55, and he did.

True story.

devonwoody":1lv9wiuh said:
Fecn, why not put it up for sale on ebay with a true description someone else might want some spares.

That'd mean I'd have to set up an ebay account... .Not having an ebay account has saved me from all sorts of too-good-to-miss purchases that I'd later regret (like that mini-digger that I would have bought even though I have nowhere to put it and no use for it.)

Besides... I have plans for many of the spares...

No-Volt-Return switch... that can control the power to my table saw in case I can't reach the button on the base.

Mitre Guage and Rip Fence, Cast aluminium table.. - Planning to build my own router table one day... I reckon they should all come in useful.... I just need to replace the throat plate from the TS with something suitable for my router and add some legs and dust extraction.

Bolts, screws etc... integrated into my collection.

That leaves the a broken motor and a very thin metal box.... if anyone wants it... you're welcome to it.

does anyone have an must be old ? 417 KITY TABLE SAW? is this 1.5 hp .thanks snowy.

I have the fox f36-524 200mm table saw purchased from DB Keighley for around £400. The basic saw is good - a clone of the Kity 419 I'm reliably informed - but with mine, I recon the quality control department had the day off and the technical publications department must have been laid off if that is they ever existed! A visit to Hamilton’s in Colchester - the importers of Fox - solved most of the issues. Thanks to those on this forum who supplied their phone number as DB Keighley don’t answer their emails. :evil:

On the minus side, there are no instructions at all for the assembly of the sliding carriage and no parts list either. The other instructions are next to useless and written as ever in 'Chinglish'. Other problems encountered were that the angle scale on the carriage was stuck on back to front which once peeled off and stuck back on again did at least give a rough indication of the angle. The same problem was encountered with the scale for the rip fence - it was stuck on in the wrong place making setting up impossible. Some of the screws are too long and they bottom out before being fully tightened. Other than that, the rip fence is too short, the blade is poor and the quality of some of the locking knobs / screws are nasty.

On the plus side, it has a good solid cast iron table and a powerful induction motor. If you do buy one and need some pictures / help with assembly let me know - I can't be sure that I have got it completely right but I don't have too many bits and pieces left over either!

Conclusion - if you fancy your chances on the Krypton Factor then go for it! :roll:

I have updated the list with tables from:
wrightclan
tx2man
Ploget
Roger Sinden
Fecn
snowy
promhandicam

The list of tablesaws is getting REALLY long :wink:
With the Scheppach TS2500 still the most owned on this forum and the Kity 419 close behind.

CYC

What about those people with RASs? Could you please update my entry - I've sold the Sedgwick LK and bought a White SK to replace it. Still got the Altendorf. Oh well, more antique cast iron.....

Scrit

I updated the list Scrit.
I'll stick to tablesaws only. If someone wants to volunteer to maintain a RAS listing on a different thread it would be better.

CYC":3aikfjge said:
I updated the list Scrit.
I'll stick to tablesaws only. If someone wants to volunteer to maintain a RAS listing on a different thread it would be better.

OK, willco!

Scrit

Hope you don't mind CYC but I thought I'd sort your list differemtly to see what were the top 10.

Scheppach, TS2500...............12
Kity, 419..............................11
Scheppach, TS2000................6
Elekra Beckum, PK200............5
Ferm, FZT 250....................... 5
Triton 2000 workcentre........... 5
Delta, UNISAW.......................4
Elekra Beckum, PK255............4
Scheppach, TS2010................4
Xcalibur 804...........................4

Andy

Back