Fore or Jointer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a new plane for a few projects coming up.

I can only afford 1 decent one and not sure what to get, I need to joint wood as well as prepare the surface and prepare stock from rough to smooth.

I can't make up my mind what would be more suitable?

Is a 6 really more versatile than a 7, or should I just go for the 7 and use it for the tasks mentioned?

If it helps, I have a converted stanley 5 scrub, and a 4 1/2 smoother, just need something to help do joints and stock preperation.

I'd go for the #7, Byron. You'll appreciate it's "flattening" ability and wonder how you ever managed without it.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

ByronBlack":1lmhxbaz said:
Paul, what would you define as a 'good' one?

Clifton or Lie Nielsen. My own preference is for Clifton - I have three #4.5, #6 and #7. I couldn't really afford Lie Nielsen but even if I could I would have probably still gone for the Cliftons. What I like about them is that they are really well made. They are heavy. The Bedrock frogs are fabulous - you don't have to take the plane apart to adjust the mouth. The blades are really good and the cap irons are, in my view, the best.

I don't have a planer, table saw or bandsaw so I use my planes a lot and value things like being able to adjust the frog easily. If you have plenty of machinery, these sort of things might not be so important.

I've never really taken to Veritas bench planes - they just don't feel right to me. However, their low angle block plane is fabulous (I have one), so is their cabinet scraper (I have one), so is their scrub (don't have one but I've tried Philly's). So a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the feel of the tool.

If you want an independent assessment look here http://www.individualfurniture.com/maker/Planes.htm You will see that the top three makes are all good.

I have no experience of bevel up bench planes (apart from the block) but mine do everything I want so I've never felt the need to go down that road (thank God :lol: ).

On the question of size, I've always found that you can use a big plane on small work but not a small plane on big work. In any case you have the #4.5 so I reckon the #7 would be better than the #6.

Hope this helps

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS Before buying the Cliftons, I already had Record #04, #05, #05.5 and #07 planes (I still have them). Despite upgrading the blades and cap irons and generally fiddling about with them, they are not a patch on the Cliftons. The Cliftons will glide through stuff that the Records won't touch.

Another vote for the clifton here,
fantastic plane, I have an original bedrock 607, and the clifton knocks the spots off of it

I'd go for a No7, either a LN or Clifton as Paul suggests. Iv'e had a play with both a LN No8 and Clifton No7 in Philly's shop just before Christmas...both are excellent so I guess you pays your money etc - Rob

all this talk of planes.

I have recently aquired a USA stanley sweetheart No 7. I am in the process of cleaning it and getting it back to a tool I can use with confidence.

I have a Stanley No 6 Jack plane and a Stanley No 5, I have had these for close on 45 years, they have served me well over those years.

my question is does anyone on this forum have a sweetheart No 7, and what is the best way to refurbish it.

All advice would be appreciated

Gosh, there's a question. Well, you could sharpen the blade...

I pretty much left my Stanley #7 alone. It was in pretty fair shape when I took it in. I re-finished the beech handles with oil and wax as the original varnish was battered and tatty, but that's about it. Wax gives a really nice touchy-feely finish.

Back