For Sale : Veritas Bevel Up Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm selling my Veritas BUS for the simple reason that I no longer use it.

The plane has been used, but by no means abused, and is in excellent condition.

The iron is the standard low angle affair (ground to about 25degrees), but honed to 38 degrees, giving an effective pitch of 50 degrees. Doing this saves a load of honing time as opposed to using the 38degree blade available from Veritas as you're only honing a tiny band of metal each time.

IMG_5937.jpg

I also have the original packaging somewhere.

This plane currently sells for £186.50 at axminster.

I'm asking for £150 including postage.

There are loads of reviews out there that put this plane in the same league as Marcou, Sauer and Steiner etc. in terms of performance, so bag yourself a bargain.

Cheers

Aled

P.S. If you're wondering what i'm using in it's place, it's this beast.

IMG_5939.jpg
:D :D :D

Sorry Aled, I have this plane and I'm wondering what the benefit is of grinding to 38 degrees? What does this achieve? Should I do it?

Due to the bevel up nature of this plane, raising your honing angle raises the effective pitch of the plane, and therefore increases the plane's ability to tame even the gnarliest of timbers.

If I were you, I'd keep the low angle grind, but hone the iron at 38 degrees, or even higher for dificult grain. Honing at 38deg is a good starting point for smoothing as it gives the plane an effective pitch of 50deg (38deg +12deg bed angle).

Cheers

Aled

Sorry, not interested in your plane as I already have one. Truth is, I don't get on with it very well and I can't seem to avoid tearout in timbers including pine! :x But, the 38° honing angle sounds intriguing, I may have to give it a try - thanks! :)

Olly, the main benefit of bevel up planes is that you can easily change the effective pitch. Honing at about 38 degrees should be a good place to start eliminating tearout.

I probably don't need to remind you that pine can be pipper to plane and requires a SHARP edge to achieve a perfect finish.

If you have the manual for the BUS, there's a good explanation in there (with close up pics of what happens at the buisness end of the blade) about the benefit of increased effective pitch. If you don't have the manual, you can read it here

http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=55142

In the manual they talk about a 38deg iron, but all that's really required is that you hone a very small 38deg micro bevel, this speeds up sharpening no end. Without wanting to sound too pessimistic, I believe that the 38 and 50deg irons are something of a marketing excersise, I'd much rather have 2 or three of the 25deg irons and hone those differently (which I have, and I do)

Cheers

Aled

If you have been using your BUS with a 25 degree bevel, then you have missed out on its specialness. This is a dedicated smoother and aimed at planing at the extremes.

Now, if you want to be truly amazed, then hone a 50 degree (secondary) bevel (not a 38 degree one), and try the plane out on a piece of wood that you had previously given up as impossible! And when the excitement has worn off (does it ever?), then turn the board around and plane into the grain!

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you have been using your BUS with a 25 degree bevel, then you have missed out on its specialness. This is a dedicated smoother and aimed at planing at the extremes.

Now, if you want to be truly amazed, then hone a 50 degree (secondary) bevel (not a 38 degree one), and try the plane out on a piece of wood that you had previously given up as impossible! And when the excitement has worn off (does it ever?), then turn the board around and plane into the grain!

Regards from Perth

Derek

I hadn't gone that far yet, just in case I'd confuse anybody further, but what Derek says is spot on. This is probably the most versatile smoother on the planet, you just need to understand the concept of effective pitch to make the most of it. Heck, I'm starting to wander if I really want to sell it now.

Try explaining the smile and excitement to the missus though, they just don't understand.

Cheers

Aled

I hope that Derek doesn't mind, but here's a link to a review he wrote on the Marcou S15 smoother, and in which he compares it to a Veritas BUS and a LN 4 1/2 smoother.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The Marcou S15 BU Smoother.html

One comment by Colin Webb in this review that sticks in my mind is

"The Lee Valley smoother performs at least as well as the Marcou plane. It handled the truly difficult task of smoothing that knotty, gnarly jarrah with aplomb."

Derek also discusses the merits of high effective pitch, and as with all of Derek's reviews is a bloody good read to boot.

Cheers

Aled

I know it might be sacrilege but I largely us the bevel up Veritas smoother for end grain. Would it be worth trying the increased angle of honing for that use?

Saint Simon":1jc3545e said:
I know it might be sacrilege but I largely us the bevel up Veritas smoother for end grain. Would it be worth trying the increased angle of honing for that use?

For end grain a lower angle (25* + 12* bed) would be better.

EdSutton":oj3sw9ub said:
I followed Dereks advice as a result of this thread;

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ul&start=0

and now find my LAJ and BUS the most versatile planes I own. The very high angles have tackled everything I ever throw at them. Personally I would keep it Aled, although I appreciate thats not really the point of the thread!

Ed

Ed,

For the very high angles I have this.

IMG_4486.jpg
:wink: :wink:

In all honesty the BUS hasn't been used for at least four or five months, so it's got to go.

Cheers

Aled

Well, would you be willing to ship it to The Netherlands? I'd love to complete the LV bevel up trio. :)

Take

Aled and others; thank you. You've just about convinced me NOT to follow in Aled's steps and try to sell my BUS!! :D :wink:

I'll have a play around with those different angles some time soon. Reading the manual? Yeah, I forgot all about that... It's not the kind of thing I associate with a powerless hand tool!! :wink:

yes thanks all, I will have a play with this when I get the time.

The comments about the 38deg honed edge are spot on. Grind at 23deg on the Tormek and then hone an edge at 38 deg. All my LV LA planes are set up like this...I haven't tried honing a 50deg bevel as Derek suggests - Rob

Aled Dafis":2izw9edf said:
Ed,

For the very high angles I have this.

IMG_4486.jpg
:wink: :wink:

In all honesty the BUS hasn't been used for at least four or five months, so it's got to go.

Cheers

Aled

Very nice. That looks like a Brese. 8)

Back